Resources for pearl grafting techniques

Mostawesomecoffee

Community member
I have looked through this forum and see many great resources for various aspects of pearl artistry, but am rather confused as to how to learn the specifics of pearl grafting. I live in the New York area, which is potentially good as far as coming into contact with someone who might know a thing or two, since the city does a good jewelry trade.

I'd imagine that I'd have a far easier time finding someone if I lived in East Asia, though. Are there any people that you'd recommend contacting in this area?

Also, I've read some vague descriptions of surgical techniques, and see that there are videos regarding this sort of thing posted on youtube. I've yet to look at any of the youtube videos, because I have no way of ascertaining whether the information presented would be accurate. I don't want to learn something wrong, just to have to unlearn it. So, are there any specific resources regarding grafting that you'd recommend? thanks.

Interesting. What an unusual thing for a New Yorker to be interested in! We have a couple of people who farm pearls and are experts at grafting.

One is Sea of Cortez pearls, in Guaymas Mexico. Douglas, is the English speaker and has added a great deal to this forum, plus he farms the most unusual and beautiful pearls in the world.Search for Sea of Cortez pearls within this forum, just to get a clue of how great the pearls are-

Another farmer/member is Kamoka Pearls with Josh as the usual contact person.

Jeremy also has some good videos up on YouTube. Look for Pearl Paradise videos; they are absolutely accurate. Also Douglas has YouTube videos, too.
Hopes this satisfies that itch.

Yikes, I forgot I already know about you! Sorry! Anyway, you are at the right place!

Last edited:
Mostawesomecoffee:
You are embarking on a treacherous road...beware the curse of the pearl!!!
Sorry for the theatricals... felt like it after surviving yet another hurricane.

I can recommend a couple of reads. One of them is Cahn (1949). A great book describing the pearl industry in Japan after WWII. Great technical information. Then there is this book called "Modern Methods of Aquaculture in Japan" by Ikenoue & Kafuku from the 1980's and there you will find a couple of interesting chapters.
Then -of course- is an article published by C. Denis George in the 1980's called "The Birth of a Pearl", and also highly recommended.

A list of needed references: http://www.fao.org/docrep/field/003/AB726E/AB726E16.htm

But beware! If you follow this path...it will lead to...it will lead to.... great coffee conversations in NYC! ;)

Back