Strand length

Blossy

Can you please help me with this one...

Will a strand sit shorter on the neck than the same length chain, is the difference even more the larger the pearl, and is it significant?

I'm debating 17" or 18". I'm certain I'm being silly and obsessing over something stupidly minor.

I like the way my cheapie 5mm babyteeth sit at 17", but these are 8.5-9mm.

Blossy,

That is an important consideration, and yes, the larger the pearls, the more they take up space. A 17 inch in 8.5-9mm size will likely seem shorter than your 5mm. My estimate would be to add 1/2 inch, but a full inch probably would be ok too (that's about 4 pearls). The consultant should be able to advise you, It's after 9pm here, brain no longer engaged, have forgotten from whom you are ordering your pearls.

Ordering from PP, pretty much decided what I want, but forced by the credit card to wait another week before I can purchase, aargh!!!

I think I might choose 18". I generally like 17" but I don't want the strand to be too much like a choker. I've also decided on the matching bracelet, so I can enjoy it as a bracelet, occasionally use it as an extender if I want a longer strand for the night, and so I've got pre-matched pearls already if years down the track I want to restring to a longer length.

I keeping going back and forth about the bracelet as I'm really not sure if I will wear it. I think it's good "insurance" though, so there are extra pearls if my strand gets damaged, or if I want a 20" or so as I get older.

Mia at PP will be so sick of me changing my mind, she's been super patient with me!

I just emailed Mia yet again (the poor thing!) to change my request to 17.5". I feel better already!

Thanks so much for your help Patteye.

Instead of getting a bracelet as "insurance", how about ordering a couple of inches as loose pearls as spares, as it will be cheaper that way.

DK :)

Very true, and an idea I hadn't thought of... but this way I can have the option :)

Another thought, 18 inch is probably not a custom order. That makes it easily returnable if you decide it's not right for you after seeing it in person and trying it on. So I'd probably go with the 18 inch, since I wouldn't think a half inch or an inch makes much difference anyway. But, just my opinion. :)

Another good point!

At any rate, I don't want it wearing any shorter than my 17" cheapies, so I will get a touch longer.

Back