Thoughts on this rope strand?

AliceRose

Hi all,

I'm relatively new to purchasing pearls and would like to make this strand my first pearl rope (in AAA).
http://www.pearlparadise.com/54inch-6570-mm-White-Freshwater-Pearl-Necklace3514.aspx

I'm wondering whether the size will be appropriate for my frame; I'm 5'2" and 110 lbs, early 20's.
Also, does anyone have experience with ordering freshwater pearls from Pearl Paradise? I would appreciate your input on your experience and the quality of the product.

Thanks so much!!
-Alice

rihanna-pearl+necklaces.jpg

tumblr_mcf44dh6QH1qfyjoto1_500.jpg

Many young women are wearing pearl ropes, can't go wrong IMO.

Welcome AliceRose,
You can not go wrong with the one you selected! Please send us a photo when it arrives :)

Most people on this forum have bought pearls from Pearl Paradise. The agreement is that they have lovely pearls, are very helpful and have a good return policy in cade what you got isn't quite what you wanted.

Have fun with the rope :)

- Karin

I think it would be just fine. I certainly would not turn down that strand! And of course it is all very individual.

But if we're getting nitpicky and it was me, I might go up a size on the pearls. The smaller pearls just look a bit insubstantial on me, like they are not noticed as much as I'd like (I am 5'7", 130, Vintage haha). That said, I don't like the look of a rope with pearls that are too large, either. I have some that are 9-10mm and up and plan to make them into short strands instead. With those, I just feel like I'm hauling too much around, especially since I like to wear mine for everyday, with casual clothes. Perhaps you would want to find a comparable costume bead necklace to try on and see what you think of it on yourself, if you aren't sure what 6.5-7.0 looks like on you. The smaller size would probably be just fine on you for now, but people seem to prefer larger pearls as they get older too, so it might possibly be money better spent for the long haul to go up to the next size.

And then there is the question of which quality to choose. Some people think you should get the best you can afford, period, and I definitely understand that logic. But I have a few ropes and feel like the quality isn't as important with them, to me it just seems somehow not nearly as noticeable as on a short strand. So, if it was me, I would be happy with that strand but probably even happier to go up a size on the pearls and down a grade on the quality, which is about the same cost:

http://www.pearlparadise.com/52inch-7580-mm-White-Freshwater-Pearl-Necklace3515.aspx

Just my thoughts, and like I said it really is all very individual. Let us know what you get!

Last edited:
I went to PP 8+ years ago to buy a rope. They weren't in style then, but now that they are back, I don't think they will go out again.

As an expert rope wearer (wink) I think 6-7mm is great. Don't go too big- and lessor quality is fine in a rope- if the luster is good. Ropes can go a bit smaller than 18" on the neck. I have several ropes and wear them together. They are all 7mm and under, with one 6mm, one 5mm. I also have my current favorites, silver Japanese keshi 3mm or so with larger pearls stationed every 7-12 pearls. I have three necklaces and a rope made out of these. I love the smaller pearls in a rope.

I think you can have any size and length you want (although that record breaking 10 mile rope in Japan might be too much even for me!) I have a 10ft rope of big whites. It isn't uncomfortable to wear - the trick is to make sure it sits down the neck at the back, not up with the weight up by your skull where the muscles will tire)
it makes a double bandolier as well for impact with a plain black dress.

Hi Everyone, Thank you so much!! I have decided to go with the 6.5-7mm 54" rope. It will arrive in a few days. I can't wait to show you!

They sound terrific. I'd agree with Sea Urchin - if you are wondering at all about them being a bit on the small size - go up a size. You're going to love them! :cool:

That would probably touch the floor on me! How much does it weigh? I had a huge necklace of agates that made me tired after wearing it for a few hours. I'd have to make an exception for a necklace like Wendy's. :)

That's great, AliceRose. I hope you're pleased with it.

Ooh, Wendy, I would love to see that on.

Also, Caitlin, if you get a chance, I would love to see how all those small pearls look on. Do you mean you wear more than one rope at a time?

Last edited:
AliceRose,

Ropes are fun because they can be formal or casual! You'll find so many ways to wear it!

Wendy, that's a beauty! Three inches longer than my pondslime rope!

Caitlin, when I first met you at Tucson Gem show you were wearing ropes, and made me go back and put on more!

Sea Urchin, I agree, a rope can be a lower quality and still beautiful.

AliceRose I think the rope you chose is fantastic! I definitely wouldn't go larger. I am also thin...about your height and weight and am looking for a FW rope. I have been considering ropes that are even smaller 6-6.5 or 5.5-6 and I am also debating between 36" or 54". Please give us a review when your pearls arrive!

Hi All! I've just received the pearls today and I am elated to share these pictures with you. The 6.5-7mm turned out to be just the right size, not too big and not too small. I already have shorter strands of much larger pearls, so I thought it would be fun to layer my necklaces with various sizes.

To LitGeek: I would not hesitate in purchasing a 54" 6.5-7mm rope. I find the length to be fun and versatile. If you already have this size, I imagine that 6-6.5 and 5.5-6 would be quite dainty as well! In fact, I am considering purchasing another rope of smaller pearls, albeit much longer (perhaps 100"?).
IMG_0503.jpg
The lighting is a bit warm in this photo.
IMG_0511.jpg
In this one, you can see the luster and the ivory-rose overtones much better.

Thank you all so much for your assistance! :)

Back