Metal Bead Nucleus?

Kaththee

I recently bought a strand of pearls on Ebay for practically nothing and I am very happy with my purchase but am intrigued by something I don't understand and was hoping to find answers here. They are a 10mm black, peacock(purple/green coloring) 28 inch strand with a 7 inch matching bracelet. They are shaped like Freshwater pearls with flattening near the bead holes. A few of the pearls have lost the nacre near the bead hole and I can see and feel what seems to be a hard metal nucleus under the nacre. I could be mistaken but that is what it looks and feels like to me. Probably 4 -6 pearls are damaged in the whole strand. All of them have some kind of white powder like substance between the pearls which scrapes off easily. I worry whatever that white substance is did the damage. However they are very poorly strung. It looks like a first grader made the knots and they rub together too much which could have caused the problem as well. It seems to get worse toward the center of the necklace.

I have never heard of freshwater pearls having a metal ball as a nucleus or even having a nucleus at all. I have heard of those souffle pearls with a mud like nucleus though. I have been collecting pearls for years along with other types of gems and jewelry. The pearls pass the tooth test. At this point of collecting jewelry, I feel like I can tell real pearls from faux (which I also collect) at a glance. I am certain they are real pearls of some sort. I have been lurking here for years and feel like I am old friends with everyone, and I would appreciate any help my old friends could offer me.

The ''story'' behind the strand was that they were from an estate of a jeweler and gemologist. The pearls have an old price tag that says $195.00, ES 2-12, 10 mm. The bracelet is marked T, 2-12, 10mm, $40. Both have sterling clasp. The necklace has a spring toggle clasp with cool end caps. I am mostly curious about the nucleus and if freshwater pearls have ever been known to be made with a metal bead. I love learning everything about gems of all sort especially those I own. That is the part of collecting that I enjoy most. If this information is elsewhere on the site, please forgive me. Thank you, Kathy Tobacco

The white powder could simply be pearl dust from drilling if they still have a price tag (clearly not tumble cleaned after drilling - see another thread!). what colour is the nucleus - if it is white it is probably shell. You may have some early experimental bead nucleated pearls from a few years ago. Sounds like they were badly drilled to crack off the nacre around the drill hole or the nacre had not fully adhered to the nucleus in some of the pearls.
Photos def needed.

Thank you, I will take some pictures. The nuclei, I see are blackened shiny metallic looking beads -not white shell. Perhaps the shell was discolored in the dyeing process. I will get the camera out and take some photos. I had a light diffuser that I made from an old tupperware bowl but my husband threw it away. I haven't been able to get good closeups since but I will do my best. Wendy, I think you are right about the pearl dust and I think you are also probably correct that the pearls were badly drilled. Hopefully they all won't deteriorate. I will check out that thread on tumble cleaning too!

There are unfortunately some "pearls" being sold that are ground up pearls and fish scales applied in layers over a bead, although I thought they used a glass bead and not a metal. This type of man made pearl will often pass the tooth test. Really do need those photos.

I would suspect a Mother of Pearl bead or Shell pearl which has the fish scale coating mentioned above with a mother of pearl bead.

Back