Freshadama

jshepherd

I just realized today that I had not yet posted a "good" picture of the new freshwater pearls for you all to enjoy. These are pretty hard to argue with.

Attachments

• Freshadama-close.jpg
    Freshadama-close.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 33
Hi Jeremy,
these are tissue nucleated pearls. They are too round

Ricardo Cunha Lima

My dream come true.

Literally. I was asking if such pearls were possible, barely a year ago, and here they are.

10mm?

They are tissue-nucleated freshwater pearls. This particular strand is 8-9mm (or 8.1-8.8mm to be exact). I have compressed the picture (actual is about 600% larger) just to get it on the screen and upload it to this forum. We took the giant pic to send to a jounalist that wanted an up-close examination.

Absolutely amazing! There is no way I would have thought they were freshwater pearls.

They are beautiful. I'll just come on out and ask. Expensive too, aren't they?

Not as bad as you might think. The larger sizes (10mm+), however, will climb a bit. But still not as costly as comparable Akoya. Unless someone were to purchase them "per pearl" from factories/farms and create just a few. I think we have about 1200 currently and that has brought it down tremendously.

Freshadama

Stunning!! When you say 1200, do you mean strands?

Pattye

Yes, about 1200 strands. Not all are quite good enough for us to call them freshadama. Those we have moved over to our AAA stock, which means our AAA stock is now better than any available hanks from China as well (as they were also loose-pearl matched). This is why it took us so long to separate and price them. I have a few kilos of 10-11mm that are the same, and those should arrive on Monday.

WOW!

Nicely and carefully matched. Though there are some freshadamas scattered all over Asia, they are not as perfectly matched as these ones. ;)

What does the term freshadama stand for. Not familiar with it. Could take a guess! Fresh water with Adamantine luster?

Hi Richard,

Although that was a fairly good guess, it is a combination of freshwater and hanadama and thusly denotes freshwater pearls that meet or exceed hanadama standards.

Zeide

It is a new word - thank Zeide. Hanadama is the term used to describe the best quality Akoya pearls produced, Mikimoto's highest line. Freshadama is simply a spin-off from that same word as there is yet a single descriptive word to describe strands of this quality.

Back