Back from China

C

cindyclark

I have just completed a 2 week pearl buying trip in China and thought people might be interested in what I found (this was my fourth buying trip in 2 years).

Overall, there are literally TONS of garbage pearls everywhere. This was my first trip after completing the GIA Pearl Course, so perhaps I am getting pickier, but I do not think I have ever seen so much junk. But, the higher quality pearls do seem to be getting better. It was easier to find high luster nice pearls 10 mm and up, but you really have to weed through acres of garbage pearls. Prices seem to be edging up a bit on the nicer pearls, plus the dollar is weaker than last year.

Another thing I noticed was no matter how small of vendor, everyone was selling Tahitian and South Seas strands (and loose pearls). I saw so many strands, and could not figure out how these tiny vendors could afford that much inventory. One vendor told me she does not pay for them, but trades her freshwater pearls for them. Although I did see a few nice pieces, most were not outstanding. The prices were not great, but I did not try to negotiate as I was only buying freshwater.

Here is a run down of the markets I visited:

Hongqiao Pearl City, Shanghai. This was my worst disappointment. I believed some of my higher quality vendors who had disappeared from the Nanjing Road market had moved here. But sadly they did not. Basically this is just more of the same vendors as on Nanjing Road, only a little more limited selection. Because I was buying a bunch I got some good deals, but I saw some individuals trying to buy pieces and getting totally ripped off. I did not buy any round or near round pearls here as the prices were not good.

Pearl City, Nanjing Road, Shanghai. This is always a fun market and easy to get to. Like Hongquiao, the higher quality pearls are REALLY overpriced, but it is OK for unusual pearls.

Pearl City, Suzhou. Lots of shlock, but some nice pearls here. My take was 1 out of 5 stores had some decent things, but you might only find a couple good strands out of the whole store. Some stores were a total rip off, others had some good values. I have been dealing with some of these folks for a few years and that seems to really help in the negotiations. It takes a lot of time to buy things here. We were here for days and really wished they would improve the bathrooms!

Pearl City, Zhuji. This place is wild. A really chaotic, crazy environment. We saw one guy get arrested, lots of spitting and shouting and I will vote Zhuji as having the worst bathrooms of all. It is the ridiculous and the sublime. Some much junk, but if you are patient and/or have made some contacts from a previous trip there are some amazing pearls here. It just takes so long to weed through the good stuff. Sitting for hours sorting through plastic tubs of undrilled pearls for earrings can be mind numbing, BUT you can get gorgeous stuff. It was good to see some vendors from last year and they tend to give you better pricing if you are a repeat customer. As always some of my favorite vendors from the last trip were no longer here.

Hong Kong. I had done my pearl buying on the mainland so I did not go to wholesale places. I checked out the deals a tourist would get here. I have always heard people say what great and cheap pearls there are here. Maybe I kept going to the wrong places but I found the freshwater pearls to be at least 3 to 4 times the price of pearls in China. There were even some very high quality ones set with gold that seemed to be nearly what you would pay in the U.S. Lots more low quality stuff and of course $1 a strand junk pearls everywhere (but those don't count :) ). They did seem to have nicer South Seas and Tahitian than the Mainland at decent, but not great pricing.

All in all, it was my best trip ever. I learned a ton, but most important was the value from building a long term relationship with Chinese vendors. I just wish that so many of them did not disappear each year. There are some pictures on my website.

Cindy Clark
www.passionpearlsjewelry.com

Welcome back, Cindy! Thanks for posting those pictures - they were very interesting. It looks like you got some very pretty pearls!

Debbie

Hi Cindy

That post is going to be helpful to a lot of people, thanks for taking the time. I really enjoyed readingit; I felt like I was looking over your shoulder......;)

Hello Cindy,

Thanks for all the details on your shopping trip! Not sure I would have the stamina for 2 weeks of that!

Your website has some lovely pearls, really admire your artistry!!

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Reminds me of the days when I still had my fashion business. Used to trudge through wholesale markets trying to find good deals. I still travel to China twice a year, mainly to Shanghai and Guangzhou for some retail therapy since I no longer run the business. Thought I'd chip in a little since it's kinda related.

I've been to Liwan Plaza in Guangzhou - it's at Changshou Lu (Road) and you can get there by train quite easily. There's a pearl wholesale market in the basement where you can find all kinds of fashion accessories, from sterling silver to crystal. There's also a separate jade market outside on the surface street, at the corner of Kangwang Zhonglu and Changshou Lu.

The pearls there aren't top quality. Alot of the vendors have branched out from Zhuji. You can find shell pearls, corals and other bead jewellery, though it's predominantly freshwater pearls of commercial and maybe the higher A grades. I have yet to find top quality pearls there. Mostly junk that people would be happy to have as fashion accessories, but the upmarket stuff is most certainly picked up from the farms in Zhuji. Very little gets to the domestic wholesale markets. I did buy some cheap trinkets for my best friend. I'd say most of the white freshwater pearls there are bleached. I wasn't that into pearls during my last visit but may look into exploring it further for everyday costume jewellery on my next visit, but I digress. The stuff we bought were mainly finished pieces, just generic crystal and pearl pendants and rings. Quite cheap considering the very small quantity we bought. A pendant which is say button shaped, about 9-10 mm, white freshwater (likely bleached), very good luster and very little surface blemishing on the visible side, no orient or water cost about RMB30. Similar for rings. I can't really complain about that price since it retails for about A$20 or US$15 where I live. 7-8 mm white freshwater (likely bleached again) that are slightly off-round, with very good luster and mild blemishing, no discernible orient or water, sterling silver clasp, would cost about RMB200. It's good for everyday wear since you can just throw it out once it loses its luster, which I expect to be a year or two tops. Not expensive, but it's costume jewellery as opposed to what I consider heirloom pieces like those from the vendors on this forum, even for classic necklaces. They did sell loose undrilled pearls touted as AAA quality. I could say those were mostly visibly round, with very good luster and mild blemishing, but these were also very obviously bleached though they deny it vehemently.

All in all good fun. I never did try the bathrooms in public places. I think an experience in Beijing where two cleaning ladies squatted in the cubicles across from each other, chatting like it was the most natural thing to do while peeing pretty much scarred me for life, even though I'm an MD. Nothing I haven't seen before but seriously, some bodily functions should not be communal.

I usually still go around to Baima and the other apparel wholesale markets around the Guangzhou Railway station. Liwan Plaza has been a really rewarding trip. A girl does need both heirloom pieces and junk costume jewellery.

Back