Metallic Edison Peal Smash for Those Who Enjoy a Good Pearl Smash

This thread is fascinating, especially Eric's notice of the thin layer of metallic nacre and the need for special harvest timing. Thanks, I love learning this stuff!
Linda

But is there actually special timing for harvest?

Or is it just that only the pearls that come out looking metallic are sold, the others scrapped?

Good question Pearl Dreams.
I have read that freshwater pearls harvest is made when water is cold. Then, nacre has a better lustre.
I don't believe farmers let to the chance the choice of good pearls to get or not.
My opinion is they have found how to do mussels, and maybe oysters too, making this thin conchyoline layer, or only they have learnt when exactly it was coated.
What I am sure, is of the small number of these special layers, so coloured, inside the nacre.
For exemple, I had counted three, in all the 1mm thickness of a metallic katsumi pearl.
These layers are even so thin I can't work with.

Last edited:
Thanks for the experiment, GemandPearlLover. I always appreciate a good visual.
the nacre is roughly .0.8 to 1.2 mm thick.
Isn't that the nacre thickness of a Tahitian? Or was, before the standards were relaxed?

Isn't that the nacre thickness of a Tahitian? Or was, before the standards were relaxed?

Tahitians had to have a minimum of 0.8mm of nacre all over until July of 2017 when the new law went into effect.

Back