Pearl Paradise The Internet's Largest Collection of Fine Pearls - Shop Now! 80% Off Retail. Free Returns. Free Shipping. A+ Rating on BBB.

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first KLONKish strand of pearls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Katbran View Post
    I think they look great ! Good find ! You can get inexpensive Digital capipers from Beadalon if you want precise measurements.
    Oh, that's interesting! Will be sure to look in to that!

Comment

I decided to bring out my tape measure to look more closely on their size (I have not measured them myself before, it was the pawn shop owner who had marked them as 10-13mm) and it looks like they might be slightly larger than expected. But I will buy me a caliper so I can be sure. Just wondering, does it matter if the caliper is all metal (wondering if it could scratch pearls?). Ive seen that some calipers have a plastic/carbon material, but those seem to be more expensive and harder to find where I live. So will it do with a digital one made completely in metal?

(I'm adding pictures of the smallest and largest pearls.)
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi raggdoll, I bought a very cheap ($3-4) plastic calipers and it was a waste of money. Then I checked many of the online reviews of calipers; the very best was about $100, but there were several almost-as-good-but-cheaper ones. I ended up getting this one for about $27 on Amazon:

iGaging IP54 Electronic Digital Caliper 0-6" Display Inch/Metric/Fractions Stainless Steel Body

I love it; it is extremely easy to use and very precise. One thing I like is that you can measure the diameter of the pearl drill hole, which is really handy if you are planning to make some into earrings and need to make sure the head pin or whatever will fit. I'm sure you can find similar calipers in a reasonable price range.

After I make some earrings with my loose pearls, I will attempt restringing. I admire your taking that on!
        Linda

Comment

Originally posted by raggdoll View Post
          ...I do use one of those grey pearl trays, the are great for laying out and planning project. However since I don't have a special assigned beading area I still have to remove my tray when I want to take a break, hence the risk (or fear) of sometimes accidentally knocking something over
          I know there are also bead boards with lids so that beads don't get lost when the board is moved.

Mine don't have lids but I do this to avoid having my beads get lost or out of order, if I have to move my project before I'm done: I string the pearls or beads temporarily on a piece of beading wire, then clip both ends. One could also string them temporarily on thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Pearl Dreams View Post
            I know there are also bead boards with lids so that beads don't get lost when the board is moved.

Mine don't have lids but I do this to avoid having my beads get lost or out of order, if I have to move my project before I'm done: I string the pearls or beads temporarily on a piece of beading wire, then clip both ends. One could also string them temporarily on thread.
            So far I've been stringing my pearls temporarily on thread so I can wash them properly, but I think I just might look in to those boards with lids. They sound practical!

Comment

Mrsadm: Thanks! Lots of helpful information!

Comment

Ok, so I finished restringing and reorganizing this necklace and I think it turned out great. I decided to change the clasp. I think this one complements the pearls natural color better. Here are some pictures, sorry if they are a bit dark and blurry (complete lack of daylight at the moment).
                Attached Files

Comment

They sit on a very nice place on your neck, so graceful!

Comment

I love the pearls. I can see your reflection!

Comment

Well done !
                      https://www.instagram.com/pearlzaustralia/?hl=en
                      https://www.etsy.com/shop/pearlzaustralia

Comment

The sun decided to come out for a while today so I tried to get some better photos. I was trying to get a close up of my knotting, but I don't know how well i succeeded. Oh, and I took one glamour shot too!
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Pearl Dreams View Post
                          They sit on a very nice place on your neck, so graceful!
                          Oh, thank you! It was slightly too long for my liking before I restrung it but now it feels just right. I think larger pearls are best worn short, not only because they look great that way but mainly because they otherwise might put a strain on the neck. Ive also come to the conclusion that I like both larger pearl necklaces and really long strands of smaller ones. AND classic graduated mommo strands (for that retro feeling). But my next step will be to look for some more colorful ones I think...
                          Last edited by raggdoll; 03-27-2017, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bluidragon View Post
                            I love the pearls. I can see your reflection!
                            Yeah I know! I actually zoomed in on the pictures before I posted them to see how much of me that was visible

Comment

Originally posted by Katbran View Post
                              Well done !
                              Thank you! I had my husband help me when I rearranged them, it felt much better having two sets of eyes deciding which pearl to go where!

Comment

Working...
                              X