buy freshwater pearls

anjulie

hello, i am from mauritius and have been wanting to buy a pearl necklace choker and matching ear studs but most of the websites i see do not export to my country and neither does amazon. I believe my last resort is ebay or overstock but i am not sure which sellers to trust. can you please advise me? thank you

I just looked up USPS and Mauritus and wow, I can see there are indeed problems.

http://pe.usps.com/text/imm/mo_011.htm

Prohibitions (130)All varieties of maize; tea.Ammunition, charged metal firing caps, and cartridges for small arms.Coins; banknotes; currency notes (paper money); securities payable to bearer; traveler’s checks; platinum, gold or silver, manufactured or not; precious stones; jewelry; and other valuable articles.Perishable infectious biological substances.Perishable noninfectious biological substances.Radioactive materials.Seditious printed matter, paintings, books, and publications.Used clothing intended for sale.

Observations
Import permits or licenses are required for many types of goods; therefore, senders should ascertain from the addressee before mailing whether the necessary documents are held.

This list doesn't look like it was written by USPS. I would not think the USPS would care about "seditious printed matter".
I'm guessing this list was cooked up by Mauritius-- in which case, could any carrier other then USPS ship pearls to you?

I do not know.

I just found this list but I don't see pearls on it:
http://www.mra.mu/index.php/12-home/import-export-others/91-import-restrictions

I've not done any research but your problem does not seem to be pearl sellers or shipping companies. It seems to be that your government has banned imports. So even if you try to buy with websites such as ebay your items may well be seized and witheld.

I've not done any research but your problem does not seem to be pearl sellers or shipping companies. It seems to be that your government has banned imports. So even if you try to buy with websites such as ebay your items may well be seized and witheld.

I have bought from ebay previously, i bought a blouse from china and a pair of 14 k gold earrings won from auction on ebay from a us seller and it was sent through usps post i guess, i cant really remember but it wasnt dhl nor fedex, the only thing is im scared pearls on ebay would not be genuine.
as from pearl paradise, pearl outlet, etc, they do not ship to my island :(
ive researched poncini and adamas, both are very very expensive :(
thank you

hello
ive bought a pair of 14 k gold pre owned earrings from a us seller from ebay previously, in an auction and it was delivered, i dont really recall whether from usps but it wasnt from fedex or dhl.
pearl outlet and pearl paradise do not export to my country and poncini and adamas are very expensive here :)
thank you

anjulie,

It is likely that if you buy freshwater pearls from Chinese sellers on eBay, they will be real FWP.
Be aware that unless the listing states that you will get the exact item in the photo, it is likely that the photo is merely representative. The pearls you actually receive may be of poorer quality. Also, be wary of out-of-focus photos as they tend to conceal the fact that the pearls have a poor surface.

If you order so-called "akoya" "south sea" or "Tahitian" pearls from Chinese eBay sellers, there is a very good chance they will actually be freshwater pearls.

Avoid any listing that includes the word "shell" because so-called "sea shell pearls" are really imitations.

yes thank you pearl dreams, i will try sellers that advertise genuine fwp, it will be my first pearl purchase, so i suppose even simple fresh water pearls are a big deal for me :)

Back