6.5mm Akoya pearl availability

T

TievoliJewelry

Can someone tell me what has happened to 6-6.5mm Akoya pearls? I went to Las Vegas last month looking for these pearls and could not find them at all. There were a few in the JCK world booths, but most were of low quality, and nearly all were priced higher than the larger pearls. One Japanese company (I will not mention names) wanted $1000 US DOLLARS per strand! The strand was AA at best! Commercial qualities were still $2-$300 per strand.
Any information would be greatly appreciated. I am a designer and many of the pieces that I make work best with the smaller, 6-6.5mm pearls. But I need a minimum .5 nacre to set, and I do not want the pearls to cost more than I typically sell these pieces for!

Re: Supply of 6-6.5mm Akoya pearls

Re: Supply of 6-6.5mm Akoya pearls

This is indeed an issue today. Nearly every pearl company you talk to today is having the same issue sourcing 6.5mm Akoya pearls. The reasons are quite simple, but the solution is not.

Everyone knows that more than 90% of Akoya pearls in the size come from China. Japanese farms know it is a losing proposition to culture pearls of this size and are now almost exclusively culturing larger pearls 8mm and up. Because of this Japanese factories either import their pearls directly from Chinese farms, or buy them in China and work them there as well. There are 5 processing factories in Behai in the Guangxi province, and three are owned by Japanese companies. Another, run by Mr. Chen Yu Wen, is a Japanese coop, and utilizes only Japanese equipment in its operations.

Because of the plethora of Akoya pearl farms in China one would think the supply of these pearls would never be low. But in China the supply follows the profit margins. In 1992 the majority of pearls coming out of China were 5-5.5mm. Today they are 7-7.5mm, and soon to be 7.5-8mm. Akoyas 6-6.5mm have not been the bulk of production since 1999. Pearls are sold to processing centers on basis of weight, so the larger the pearl the larger the profit.

The shortage of 6-6.5mm pearls actually began in 2002. Prices on high-quality 6.5mm hanks started to jump, but the quality started to decline. There is only one major pearl producer in China that saw this coming and decided to capitalize on this future. The company is Ronghui in Luisha. They produced 1 ton of 6-6.5mm pearls in early 2003, which accounted for 90% of the total Chinese production. Because of this they basically had a monopoly on the market, and prices have since gone through the roof – at least for high-quality strands. It is now quite easy to purchase 7mm strands for less than comparable 6.5mm strands.

Because of this shortage I personally directed our farm in Haian to produce a large crop of 6-6.5mm pearls in winter of 2003. This crop is actually being harvested this week and next – I am flying out next week to view the harvest. When we have these pearls processed we will have approximately 2,500 strands available. This will not be enough to direct market prices, but will keep prices low for our customers and retailers through the holiday season.

How will the quality be? You said they were cultured in the winter of 2003, is that early 2003 or late 2003?

The crop is from early 2003. The nucleation was completed late winter/early spring. The crop will be a 15-16 month harvest.

The quality should be very good. While I was at the farm in May we opened a few of the oysters to observe the pearls. They had a very fine luster, good surface, and appeared nearly ready to harvest.

As a matter of fact, that picture on the homepage of pearl-guide.com is actually my hand holding one of the oysters we opened that day. You can actually see the pearls there.

I will be able to give you more detail on the quality of the harvest when I return later this month. If all goes well there will be more than enough 6.5mm strand to go around for several months.

I look forward to hearing about it. I would also love a few hanks if you can spare ;)

6.5mm pearls

6.5mm pearls

Is there any news on the availability of 6.5mm pearls? I was in Beijing and Hong Kong last month and found no good quality strands. The prices were too high and the quality was just junk!

Troy,
I have new information about 6.5mm pearls but I am going to start a new thread as this one was related to a particular question from a member. Please see the next thread in this category.

Back