Do these look like authentic Hanadamas?

lovely

IMG_0599.jpg
IMG_0597.jpg
IMG_0600.jpg

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if people could lend their expertise and experience in helping me determining whether these are authentic Hanadama pearls? I'm a bit new to pearls (and new this forum) and I'm just a little concerned because these look so perfect, they almost look fake. Could they possibly be metallic freshadama or majorica pearls?

I purchased these Hanadama bracelets from an online vendor (not PearlParadise and the other vendors that seem to be frequently mentioned on here). The right strand has a more metallic and sharper luster, whereas the left strand looks softer and much creamier (the difference doesn't show as much in the picture). The pictures were taken indoors in the kitchen with the lights on.

They do pass the teeth test, but I don't have much experience with pearls, and I'm hesitant of the authenticity. I'm considering returning these, but I would love people's thoughts and opinions on these? Do these look like hanadamas, or could they possibly be metallic freshadama or majorica pearls? Am I just overthinking things?Thoughts?

Last edited:
They do look like very lustrous akoya pearls. The Hanadama designation is based on a certificate from the Pearl Science Lab. Did each of your bracelets come with a certificate? Each should have its own certificate, which states the specific properties of that bracelet. (No one-size-fits-all certificates.)

Hanadama pearls have to meet certain minimum standards to be certified hanadama. However some pieces will exceed the minimum standards. Only you can decide if you are satisfied with the bracelets you have, or whether you prefer to try to find some that are even more lustrous.

Metallic freshwaters are generally not 100% round (no bead inside), and as the owner of many Majorica strands (I collect them) they do not look like Majorica either. But I get where you are coming from-- when pearls look so lustrous and well matched they can be mistaken for fakes, which are more uniform than real pearls usually are.

They do look like very lustrous akoya pearls. The Hanadama designation is based on a certificate from the Pearl Science Lab. Did each of your bracelets come with a certificate? Each should have its own certificate, which states the specific properties of that bracelet. (No one-size-fits-all certificates.)

Hanadama pearls have to meet certain minimum standards to be certified hanadama. However some pieces will exceed the minimum standards. Only you can decide if you are satisfied with the bracelets you have, or whether you prefer to try to find some that are even more lustrous.

Metallic freshwaters are generally not 100% round (no bead inside), and as the owner of many Majorica strands (I collect them) they do not look like Majorica either. But I get where you are coming from-- when pearls look so lustrous and well matched they can be mistaken for fakes, which are more uniform than real pearls usually are.

Thank you so much for your help!

They did come with a certificate from PSL. However, I've heard horror stories of jewelers supplying a certificate/report that says one thing but providing jewelry that doesn't match the quality listed in the certificate. So I guess I was just curious to see if anyone with pearl experience could tell if they look like real Hanadama pearls.

I guess I was concerned because I've seen some metallic Freshadamas on the forum that are perfectly round. I also looked at the majorica thread here (https://www.pearl-guide.com/threads...majorcan-swarovski-pearl-photos-stories.6776/) and they look so similar to Hanadamas so I was started to feel a bit upset/concerned.

However, if you're absolutely certain they don't look like Majorica, that makes me feel a lot better.

Majorica imitation pearls don't pass the tooth test.

There were a few round metallic white FWP early on but since then all the ones I've seen (including my strand, which is AAA) were not 100% round. I also own 7.5-8mm Freshadama grade metallic white studs, and even they are not 100% round. All my metallic white FWP have a decided blue-green undertone and the body color is a warmer white than my akoyas. They have great luster, but IMO they are not interchangeable with akoyas, nor mistakable for them by anyone who looks closely. Someone taking a cursory look might think they are akoyas if they don't know pearls, because of the luster.

Not owning any hanadamas myself, I don't feel I can comment on whether they look like hanadamas. But they do look like akoyas.

They look like very good akoya pearls to me, too. If you have a certificate, and the photo and the description on the certificate exactly matches your pearls, then you should feel confident. If you're not sure if the certificate is legit, can you post a photo of it next to the pearls?

Hi lovely, I am also comparing Hanadama earring studs from different vendors. I can confirm that the two pairs I have received so far had different tone and luster (although the certificate had almost identical results). I will be curious to see your certificates, if you don't mind sharing them. Yours do look like akoya pearls, though.

Hi everyone! Thank you so much for your responses. I actually just ended up returning them, although I wish I took a picture of the certificates before I did to share on here.

I purchased them from someone on Ebay (at about half the price of what big vendors sell them for) and I just had an uneasy feeling about them. It's hard to explain. The price seemed too good to be true too.

I plan to re-purchase from one of the vendors recommended on this forum.

Go with your gut feeling. You can't go wrong with any of the vendors recommended on Pearl Guide.

Back