Tips for getting into the pearl business requested

Caitlin

I got this in a PM and want to share it: Quote>>I am truly interested in starting my own pearl retailing business. I was wondering if you could give me tips on how to go about this. I want to be able to buy pearls from pearl farms without using a middle man. I want to be able to pick out the pearls that i want to sell from the pearl farms. But I don’t think that pearl farms would be willing to let a small time pearl retailer look at their pearls and then sell them to me at wholesale prices. If you have any thoughts or suggestions please do tell me. <<End Quote

Please tell me more about your interest in pearls. You are a student? What stage in your schooling? Have you any retail experience? Any business courses? Any knowledge or study of pearls? The business part of pearls is much the same as any retail business. Get this experience and training.

Take your time going into business unless you have the proper knowledge and training. Be sure you have enough financial, cultural, language resources before you try to go to China and the farms and deal directly. If you go to a farm, you will get loose pearls. What are your plans for finishing the pearls into jewelry? Do you know how or will you need it done? This involves another middleman, but it can be done in China, for instance.

Growing numbers of people are dealing with the Chinese independently now and the time has never been better for having business relations with the Chinese. Going to China, is however, an advanced business skill with a lot of specialized knowledge required. You really have to know about all the laws governing you in China. For instance, I have heard you will need a Chinese partner, if you go to China. – so, No matter what, there will be at least this one middleman.

Otherwise consider alternatives:

J Shepherd of this forum does deal directly with the Chinese pearl farms. He does speak the language(s) and has resources to buy quantity. If you read this forum thoroughly, you will find many posts from him about the farms and dealing with the Chinese. These posts are a good beginning.

You could go to the trade shows and find people who buy directly from the farms and sell directly to wholesalers through trade shows. It is still only one person (company) between you and the farms when you find someone. (Note. most trade show traders do not buy directly from farms, so you must ask each merchant where they buy the pearls. Most will tell you Hong Kong.) . And at trade shows you can buy a strand of this and a strand of that instead of a kilo of all one thing. This is a good level to buy into as a beginner.

Also, maybe you could research for another online company that deals directly with farms and with retailers on this side.

At least the latter two alternatives require you have a business license under your own name in the jewelry trade. If you do not know what I am talking about, you need to get educated in retail business.

Hope this gets you started. Please report your progress!

Another PM I would like to share: Quote <<ADVICE NEEDED Hello guys! I am neophyte here. I would like to ask if you can help me how to start up with pearl business specifically in dealing with traders. I am a pearl enthusiasts and wanted to enter deeper into the pearl world. What is the minimun amount required and is it true that on loose pearls specifically akoya, when buying it is always measured by momme which is equivalent to 375g. Is this true as well with southsea pearls as well, and how much is it per momme? I really need help here! Thanks guys!>> End Quote

What is your specific goal in entering more deeply into the pearl world? You say you want to dealer with traders. Do you want to be a wholesale dealer or a retailer? Do you want to resell loose pearls or make finished jewelry and sell that?

There is no fixed minimum for going into business, but you need a business plan and proper business training. The other post in this thread has some suggestions for that.

The momme is a traditional Japanese measure for pearls. I think it would be3.75g, that is with a decimal.The Japanese use the momme, but it is not universal. I think Stuller sells single, loose Paspaley pearls by the momme- Paspaley is an Australian south sea pearl producer and Stuller is an American jewelry supply company that has a contract with Paspaley. Checkout both their websites, I have listed the links in other posts on this forum. The price per momme is not fixed, but depends on quality.

I suggest you read up on pearls and keeping asking questions!

Last edited:
Back