Someone posted yesterday about a double strand of 1957 Mikimotos ...

Mary Montpezat

... and I posted a reply to the effect that a double row of Mikis is quite valuable and not to sell them for anything below $2,000, but the thread has disappeared altogether. Are new members not allowed to post items they indicate they'd like to sell? I checked the FAQs can't find guidance on that rule if that's the case, but I'm assuming it was an "illegal" thread in some way. The OP sounded as though he didn't have a clue what they are worth! Can someone who knows the rules please advise? Thanks!

Direct solicitation of sales is not allowed by sellers. You can post that you are looking for a specific something and sellers can respond but we sellers cannot use the forum to tout for business directly and overtly. It isn't eBay

I wrote to the guy and explained the situation. Another Admin moved the thread to the mod board probably because of a complaint about selling, because it is illegal to come over here and offer stuff for saleas though we are a bazaar. That leaves it open for the alphabet pearl companies to do the same. Sometimes, when we know the deal, we offer suggestions on how to sell. Rarely, when people with abalone pearls come over, we let them display them without exactly saying they are for sale.We did that for antz- and got him started selling them on eBay.

Rather, they can post in 'what kind of Pearls are these?' and ask what they are and their value. Now that we have directions for those asking for favors- such as a look-see at their pearls or a sight unseen evaluation, people need to follow them. After all, they are getting free advice and don't even have to leave their homes and go to a jeweler who most likely, knows far less about pearls then we do.

He said he would repost when he got the pix.

We just had a fake Miki a few days ago, so sometimes the answers are disappointing..

Last edited:
Mary
The forum rules say no spamming. Using P-G to sell in a first post is considered spamming. Sometimes it develops that they wish to sell, at which point we suggest ways to do it. But coming over here to present pearls for sale is not something we want people to do. When people see a pearl they like, they can PM the owner and ask about it.

Ah! I thought that might be the case, but at the time I thought I wouldn't want the OP to lose out too badly if he really didn't know their value. Thanks for letting me know!

I believe the OP can still post to ask for advice with regard to the potential value of the necklace and how to sell etc., just not direct selling as seen in the original post.

DK :)

I might be the culprit who posted the thread(?) on the double strand Miki pearls. Being new to the forum I have to feel my way around and yet not be violating any of the rules. I am ready to re-post the info on the double strand Miki but want to include pictures. That is my latest problem. Can't seem to find the way to include the pictures in the post. Help!!

Please do repost! To add photos, click on Go Advanced in the lower right hand corner.
then scroll down until you get to manage attachments and click on it. Follow the directions. It is easy.

Back