Snow storms in China affecting any of the pearl farms?

pandaexpress

So does anyone know if the big, long-lasting snow storms in China are affecting any of the pearls farms? Quote from CNN.com...

In the past week, the snowstorms have hit the provinces in central, eastern and southern China -- places that are used to mild winters, not extreme wintry blasts.

"We've never seen such a cold weather lasting for such long a time," said Tang Shan, a man in his 70s in Changsha, the capital of Hunan province. "The last time we had one here was over 50 years ago, and not this bad."

So just wondering if this is affecting the pearls farms in any way?

I can't say for sure but I doubt any akoya's in the water would be effected as ocean temps are fairly warm in the South China Sea. Also Akoya pearls are successfully grown in the cooler water temps of Japan, so if there was a drop in ocean temperatures then I'm sure its still within suitable levels.

Above the ocean could be a different story though.

Hi All,

Do we have any new information on how the cold weather has impacted the freshwaters, also the akoyas?

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

The harvesting is done in the cold of winter, is it not, when nacre deposition slows down...so there might be slightly smaller pearls with great nacre next year?
that is the pearls - the pearl farmers may well be having a cold and expensive time (heating/food etc)

Back