Pearl drill size vs post size

Bbg

Hi,

This is my first post and although I am quite sure that this question must have been asked many times, I couldn’t find similar title when I did a search.
I’m sorry if this has been repeated!
I just bought some pearls and needs to inform the supplier of the drill size. Was looking at some findings from Bellafindings and called to ask about the drill size which I need for some specific models of findings. The lady told me that the size doesn’t matter and that the post will go with any drill size. Doesn’t sound right to me but there are no info of their post size on the listings.
Then, I went to Rio grande and saw the different posting sizes in “.
May I know, for a 0.26” post which is converted to 0.66mm, do i get a 0.8mm or a 0.9mm drill size?
Is there a specific guide to follow?

Thank you !

54384A6F-9E29-4C6D-B5D6-AD0EC3FF8548.jpg

Welcome to our Pearl Loving community Bbg!
I'm confident our Experts will be able to assist you :)

Thats probably a .7mm post which is quite common. Larger backs will sometimes have .8 or even .9mm posts for the 10-12+mm pearls.
You don't want much of a gap so I'd err on the side of caution and have it drilled at .7 as you can always make it a bit bigger with a bead reamer... very inexpensive little tool you can get from an online bead shop.

If only post size were standardised! Even the same manufacturer seems perfectly happy to produce different sizes. The only rule is that gold ones will be smaller to squeeze down the the price.
I'd advise getting the findings and either giving them to the person doing the drilling or get that specific peg measured accurately.
Note that length varies too!

Thank you so much for all your help! I will request for a fitted drill size And purchase a bead reamer ������������

Back