Pearl Divers

I

igoRluse

Hi all. I am curently considering a career in pearl diving for a farm in exmouth, western australia. I've been trying to get information on the current going rates for divers but have been unsuccessful so far. Could someone who knows give me an indication of what to expect? I would like to have this so I have a base to discuss from during the interview.

Cheers

Australia Pearl Diving

Australia Pearl Diving

I'm a diver myself, though it is just a hobby, not a job.

Here is a link to an article about the area you're thinking about diving in. You'll love the article. The author's phone number and email are posted in the article. You may want to contact her and see if she came across that information in her travels. She may also have some contacts she could refer you to.

Where the Wild Things Are

-The Pearl Hunter

A bit late in answering this and I have no idea what the pay would be now days but...

igoRluse said:
Hi all. I am curently considering a career in pearl diving for a farm in exmouth, western australia.
Actually it isn't too bad a job if you like being out on the ocean. The fish are pentiful in the Exmouth Gulf and I'm sure you'd have no shortage of fresh seafood.

The money is good and for the most part the job basically is that of an underwater labourer. Though perhaps it's not what could be considered a long term career. The amount of diving required takes it's toll on the body in the long run.

But Emouth is a relatively isolated township and it may not suit all people as a place to live.

If you want a long term job in the industry then moving towards farm management, spat grow out / production is something worth considering.

Also you should seriously consider gaining your skippers / engineering tickets as you build up your sea time.

Edit: I forgot to add that the best money is made on the boats that go drifting for wild oysters. Basically you get towed behind a boat looking for oysters to collect. As far as I remember the the overall cost of a shell was roughly $25 for the company. Of which, on average $4 was paid to the diver.

Last edited by a moderator:
Diving in the Exmouth Gulf

Diving in the Exmouth Gulf

I have worked for a Pearling company in the Exmouth Gulf as a farm diver.

Dependant on the job will set the pay rates are you drifting or establishing a bottom farm?

Back