Oils?

X

xeresana

I just stumbled onto a site that recommends using olive oil on pearls after cleaning them. I read a previous post where different types of oils where discussed. Is a light coating of a natural oil recommended for pearls or is it best to leave them alone?

Hi Xeresana,

After experimenting extensively with different oils and pearls, I have come to the conclusion that the best way to reanimate pearls is to wear them for a couple of days(and nights)straight. For earrings, a couple of rubs on your forehead with them should do the trick. If you want to try different vegetable oils, make sure you get the lightest coloured refined version. For instance, do not use first cold pressed super-extra-duper virgin olive oil.

Slraep

just like Slraep said, the best thing for them is to wear them and let your natural oils coat the pearls.

Try Mineral Oil as well...or "Baby Oil" (same oil, but scented). Just apply a little dab on the pearl for some 5 minutes then remove excess with a soft clean cotton cloth. It should suffice.

Just be careful when applying oils to pearl jewelry!

Man...and I've been working so hard to keep my oils OFF of the pearls. Who knew?

Back