not only on Ebay

D

dutchpearl

As a good:)D ) dutch citizen I'm quite proud of our "rijksmuseum"
Was I surprised to see how they sell their pearls in their webshop.
Since I don't suppose most of you speak dutch: they claim all their pearls to come from the southsea," which garanties thick nacre"
I'll try to post the link, if you scroll a little bit , you see some flagrant examples how even a renowned institution as the Rijksmuseum can give misinformation.
Correct me if they are not, as I think , are all the cheapest freshwaterpears

https://rijksmuseum.nl/webwinkel/product.jsp
id=12171&lang=nl&group=Sieraden

Marjan

rijksmuseum

rijksmuseum

Here is a clickable link to this product. rijksmusum

This does appear to be a freshwater pearl necklace. Take a look at the picture itself... Picture of the Pearls

I haven't seen pearls of this poor of quality in quite some time.

Ouch...

They look awlful all pitted and rough to me. I do not even use pearls like that in my beadwork or on my Garb...... Am I just being too Picky?????

While being of very low quality, they appear to have a nearly metallic sheen. I'm betting they have been coated to try to enhance the luster.

Rijks museum pearls

Rijks museum pearls

Hi,

These pearls look more like pinctada maxima naturals than hyriopsis cumingii or cristaria plicata cultured. There are actually quite a few of these around mostly from Indonesian mother of pearl fisheries. They collect the shells of dead p.m.s in Irianyaya and peel out blister pearls. Nonetheless, they have a very limited market and do NOT fetch high prices. Not all odd shapes have to be freshwater cultured. Baroques are also the default for naturals.

Zeide G. Erskine

Back