Newbie in pearls urgently need some advise

Crazy_Jen

Dear All,

I'm a complete newbie in pearls but I have recently bought a pair of pearls online (I know this is crazy n stupid and I have never bought jewelry online before) after loosing 2 pairs of pearl earrings on the same night I was very desperate to buy another pair.

The website (www.absolutepearls.co.uk) seemed very genuine, so I bought a pair of Akoya pear earrings with the below descriptions. However, when I received them I tested if the pearls were genuine by rubbing them against each other, they were quite smooth. I started to worry that they might be fake so I emailed the seller that I'd like to return them yet stressed that I had not worn them at all but got rejected. They advised that since the earrings are pierced earrings once the package is opened they cannot be returned. I knew they had strict return policy but my dilemma was if I don't open the package how I'd know if they were real or not since the earrings were packed separately in the clear bag.

Could anyone advise me what I should do now and any other simple way for dummy like me to know :confused:if the pearls are real? Is the top grading pearls are supposed to be smoother than less grading ones? These earrings are not cheap so I hope they turn out to be real if I can't return them!! :(

Please advise!!!

Regards,
Crazy Jen

http://www.absolutepearls.co.uk

''Akoya Pearl Earrings
7.5-8mm Round Pearls
18K White Gold, Very High Lustre

Pearl colour: White
Fittings: 18K White Gold 'Plate' Butterfly Studs
Pearl size: 7.5-8mm
Pearl origin: Chinese Akoya Cultured Saltwater
Pearl Overtone: Silver
Pearl shape: Round
Type: Pearl Stud Earrings 18K White Gold Heavy Duty Fittings
Pearl lustre: Very High
Pearl surface: Excellent
Gold mark: 750 or 18K
Chinese Pearl Grade: AAA

Wendy (username pearlescence) is the one you want advice from, as she is a UK online pearl seller. I've often read her posts about how the laws in the UK require merchants who sell by mail to refund customers. So I imagine the law would trump any seller's own refund policy, but as I said, she's the one to tell you what the law is and how to proceed. I send her a PM and I'm sure she'll be along to weigh in, soon as she can.

There is nothing strange about buying pearls online by the way! I've bought most of mine online-- the prices are lower and the selection is greater.

Now on to the issue of grittiness. I think the only way a genuine pearl would fail to be gritty is if it were coated in some way. And that in itself is not what one would expect from a good quality pearl.

Hmm, I did a bit of digging and I think I may be wrong about that. Apparently pierced earrings are an exception, for sanitary reasons, see this thread, posts 3 and 5 in particular:
https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5944&p=92212#post92212

I am concerned that the earrings were not gritty though. Am not familiar with that vendor...I'll look through their website a bit.
Mind you, it's not like the grittiness of real nacre is marked. It's perceptible, though...should not be entirely smooth.

Was it these?
http://www.absolutepearls.co.uk/sho...ls18k-white-gold-very-high-lustre-p-2653.html

Just from looking briefly at the website I'm not seeing anything amiss. On the pages for [dyed] black freshwaters and akoyas they do not say they are dyed, but that is mentioned on the Discover pages. Freshwaters are not being passed along as Tahitians or as SSP. I'm not seeing anything deceptive.

They seem to be members of the BJA, if that means anything: http://www.bja.org.uk/en/member-services/member-search.cfm/absolute_pearls_ltd

May I suggest you test again, rubbing one pearl gently against the edge of your front tooth or rubbing both together gently. The grittiness is experienced as slight resistance. They aren't going to feel like sandpaper! Compare with any other pearl you own, real or imitation.

They even tell you how to test on their website:

"The Tooth Test

This is the easiest, if not the most hygienic, test for telling if a pearl is an imitation or not. Simply, rub the pearl lightly along the biting edge of your upper front teeth. If it feels sandy or gritty, it is probably real. If smooth, it is probably imitation.
Although this test is not 100% foolproof, and other tests can be undertaken, you will probably be safe, unless somebody is seriously out to fool you.You can further inspect the surface of the pearl with a magnifying glass (10x is industry standard). Real pearls typically have a smooth finish, whereas imitation pearls have a grainy finish. This is quite the opposite from the tooth test where a smooth look and a grainy feel indicates that the pearl is real."

If still not sure, take them to a local jeweler and ask to look at the pearls with their 10x loupe. You have to hold the loupe close to your eye and focus correctly to see the surface, which will look very smooth for real pearls. Again, compare with a known-fake or a known-real pearl-- maybe even a strand the jeweler is selling. Hopefully this will put your mind to rest.

If you are still concerned with the results after seeing them under 10x magnification, come on back and post again.

Last edited:
Hi
Yes, pierced earrings are an exception to the law in the Distance Selling Regulations. A lot of companies use sealed packaging for earrings because of this.
I'm wondering how much grittyness you were expecting...it is only a slight roughness....not a complete scouring sensation.
It seems unlikely that this company (which is a Ltd company - you can look up all the company information yourself) would sell fake pearls.
I'm trying not to put down another UK seller here!

Last edited:
I did wonder about the use of the word "plate" regarding the finding on that ad, but then I found the same word on other earring backs that had that disk-shaped (plate-shaped) piece on the butterfly clasp, which I suppose increases the weight of the clasp, and the word "plate" does not occur on the ads that have the more commonly-shaped butterfly clasp. Plus they do state they don't use gold/silver findings (i.e. vermeil.)

I've never seen butterflies (ear nuts) with that disk-shape before. I wonder, does that make them more secure?

Hi Pearl Dreams & Pearlessence,

Thank you both for the advise! :) I know there is nothing wrong in buying jewelry online but I guess you need to have some ideas first unlike me, knew nothing about them.

Yes they were these ones - http://www.absolutepearls.co.uk/sho...ls18k-white-gold-very-high-lustre-p-2653.html

I compared the grittiness with my other cheaper pearl earrings and they have more grittiness than this one I just bought. At first it felt very smooth like the fake ones I have which shocked me but when I rub harder there is some friction. Not sure if the higher grading pearls are meant to have less?

I guess maybe cos I'm not familiar with the pearls and they should be just fine as there is very slight roughness. Maybe I expected too much :p

Oh one more thing! I know pierced earrings are hard to refund but when they are sealed separately from each other how could I test to know if they are genuine? Any suggestions what I should do for future reference? Cos open either one of them then becomes unrefundable.

Thanks,
Crazy Jen

The grittiness comes from the natural wavy patterns in the structure of nacre-- I'll try to find a photo for you, I beleive it would be at 50x or 60x magnification.

At 10x magnification these lines can't be seen so the nacre looks very smooth with a loupe, but when you get up to higher levels of magnification the wavy lines become visible. When rubbing two pearls together (or one against your tooth) there is friction between these aragonite plates that make up the nacre and the other pearl or tooth. But a better and a lesser-grade pearl would all have these plates of aragonite.

If you buy from a reliable vendor you will not have to worry about whether your pearls are fake.

Last edited:
Hi Jen,

Freshwater pearls probably feel different from both Akoya, Tahitians and SSP. The all grow their nacre at different rate and that would affect the feel of the layer. :)

- Karin

I don't do the sealed up thing with earrings because it isn't worth the hassle for me. I've only had one pair of earrings returned in ten years and that was due to the colour not suiting the buyer.
(BTW it's Pearlescence with a c. Pearlessence is not me)
Having said that every pair will now come back for the next three months.....

Hi Jen,

Freshwater pearls probably feel different from both Akoya, Tahitians and SSP. The all grow their nacre at different rate and that would affect the feel of the layer. :)

- Karin

Now I'll have to test that! Interesting idea.

Hi All,

Once again thx for your advices and indeed interesting to know they are all different. When I have a chance in the future to compare them I will! :)

(Sorry Wendy, I thought it was essence after pearl! Didn't read carefully :p and will definitely check ur website in the future as it's strongly recommend :D )

Thanks and Regards,
Crazy Jen

Back