My Mother’s pearl necklaces - Akoya and ? Lake Biwa pearls

Simply adorned

I took these photos a few years ago and did not measure, I will next time I am on the west Coast.

The first set are my Mother’s wedding pearls, they are 52 year old graduated Akoyas, even provenance with the original box (my mother does not throw things out). To my knowledge they have never been restrung (you can tell from the photos)...I will do this next time I am home for a visit.
8A45FE02-1576-4585-8AE9-4F7BC229F2B1.jpg
Here is where I have a question- This next set were purchased in Hawaii (again the label from jewelry bag) in 1978 (I believe) my mother states they are Lake Biwa pearls, this is what she was told in the jewelry store when purchased. They differed from the Chinese freshwater pearls at that time as the were larger pearls and cost significantly more.
I look forward to your expertise :)
4273D1A1-1037-42CC-8955-83C9D93F51AC.jpg

Last edited:
I have the “Rice Krispie” type of pearls as well. Mine were also from the 70’s and were given to me as a gift. I was told they were Biwa pearls when they were given to me, but as I have since learned, Chinese pearls were mixed with Japanese pearls and all sold as products of Japan.

Your pearls look bigger than mine. I have posted this photo before, but it shows them layered with baby Akoyas that were also given to me at the same time, and a strand of pink freshwater pearls from Maui, that are more current.

60FF4261-90B3-41B2-AE66-219CC007AA18.jpg

My mother gave me a necklace marked Biwa pearls for Christmas 1980, but as jeg posted above, they may very well have been from China. They are very lustrous and iridescent, but small.

Biwa pearls as seen in daylight.jpeg

Yes, very pretty and I’m just happy mine survived rattling around in junk drawers and who knows where else all these years. I also have a couple bracelets.

This is a photo of pearls my mom gave me. They were given to her by one of her aunts. It was originally a very long rope, and my mom had it made into two opera length strands. My sister has the other strand. My sister also has my mom’s Mikimoto strand that was given to her by my grandma. The earrings in the photo were also my mom’s, and from Japan. I think they were from the 70’s.

19B72B73-4DF6-4687-BCBC-6F745574B15A.jpg

Thanks Simply Adorned! My mom wore both the strand and earrings a lot. Nowadays, she only wears pearl studs. My sister and I have everything else. Reminds me I should wear them more...

Back