Like to know how to thread pearls-where do I start?

Artpearl

Hello everyone,

I'd like to learn how to thread pearls and need to know the basics and where to start. Ideally, I'd like to practice on less expensive pearls to see first if I can do this before I try my hand on my dream pearls (still to come).

Eventually I'd like to gain enough confidence to rethread my own pearls. I am wearing my baroque tahitans eveyday and was surprized to read that frequent use would require rethreading on a yearly basis. How can I tell when my pearls will need to be rethreaded?

Also, I'd like to learn how to attach claps or the cliclasp closure which is where I think I'd like to go. I'm not seeing too many closures that I like. Any advise on closures would also be appreciated.

The good thing about pearl stringing is that you can do the same pearls over and over and over again and they won't mind a bit, so you can start with your dearm pearls if you want
There are many many stringing methods and materials. I have one, caitlin has one, everyone I think has one different!
I madea video of how we do it at pearlescence, the link is in my signature
Pearls may or may not need restringing annually. One good way to tell is if there is some play between the pearls were there wasn't before - that is a sign the silk is stretching and therefore failing

Hello Wendy,

Thank you for your response.

I just viewed your youtube video. I noticed that you hand knotted the pearls, which inherently makes sense to me. I've seen other videos where people used knotting tools that appear to be complicated. Maybe its only complicated until you get the hand of it.

When you glue at either end, are you gluing the last knot or the two threads together?

Where can I get the silk thread with needle attached, the beautiful clasp you used and little metal bit? Would they be available at a beading store or do I need to get a better quality thread, etc.

Also, what type of glue are you using? Sorry for the basic questions, but I've never even threaded simple beads.

I prefer to start with a simple but nice strand as I fear cutting an existing necklace.

The good thing about pearl stringing is that you can do the same pearls over and over and over again and they won't mind a bit, so you can start with your dearm pearls if you want
There are many many stringing methods and materials. I have one, caitlin has one, everyone I think has one different!
I madea video of how we do it at pearlescence, the link is in my signature
Pearls may or may not need restringing annually. One good way to tell is if there is some play between the pearls were there wasn't before - that is a sign the silk is stretching and therefore failing

Hi Adeline
Leo Joseph Darren Graham Marsh arrived at 4.18 this morning weighing 7lb 6oz and is perfect. He and my daughter are totally well and home already
Artpearl - all that stuff is on the Pearlescence website (where are you?)

Congrats on the new baby in the family.

I'll check the site. I'm in Canada.

Hi Adeline
Leo Joseph Darren Graham Marsh arrived at 4.18 this morning weighing 7lb 6oz and is perfect. He and my daughter are totally well and home already
Artpearl - all that stuff is on the Pearlescence website (where are you?)

Congratulations, Wendy! Are they sure they've given the infant enough names, though.....?

When my darling infant was born (he's now 6) we had a girl's name all sorted, but took another 10 days to be sure about a boy's name. So he was "the baby" for the first little while.

Pearl stringing with Henrietta. I use glue stuff that turns the thread into a needle. So no needles required.

Back