Keshi pearls

Okay, I am learning. What suggests that this is the second from the an oyster? What is it you are observing ? I do love the color. I know you are an expert but you people know so much. I am sur part is from schooling and other is from long experience in the business. But again how would a first pearl turn out vs a second?

It is a fair question, bluidragon. I did find this in Strack's book where she discusses South Sea cultured pearls, saying that first harvests usually have an average size size of 11-mm to 12mm. Second harvests average 14mm to 15mm. The pearl in the beautiful pendant certainly seems to be extremely large and fine quality. Only very healthy oysters are nucleated for a 2nd time.

Each pearl is judged on its own merits, such as luster, shape, color, blemishes(surface), and size. (I don't consider myself an expert, that is just a title given for many posts here on pearl-guide.) I am fascinated by pearls enough to study about them and have for many years.

The pearl bird pin is both gorgeous and whimsical. I guess I slightly favor the necklace also. Both are remarkable designs!

Anne and her mother who locate pearls and then design the piece around the pearls are returning to Washington, DC in December. By then I may have collected a few pennies and dimes to acquire another piece. They had two round matching gold south sea pearls that were 17 mm and without drill holes. I wish I could have bought one but at he time I did not think they were for sale. The luster was fantastic. When looking at gold SSP is the orient as noticeable? As I recall, it did not pop out at me like the Keshi.

Back