Interesting Imperfection

V

Valeria101

So, the pearl is not your average 'star'. It has just one thing going for it - iridescence. ALLOT of it. Didn't know P. Maxima could do such a thing! :cool:

Look closer, and the iridescent, reflective layer seems to cover a duller yellowish substrate only partially. The bottom of the pearl remains bare. Maybe that's nucleus... but to me it seems more like another layer of nacre with vastly different properties. As if the inner pearl was covered in shimmering foil!

Any ideas what might have happened there? And if such iridescent south sea ever come in more palatable quality?

Anyway. The object seemed intriguing enough to post pictures and link here.

LINK to eBay Listing

This seller is merciless photographing his pearls !

ssirhprc5.png

Just a quick reply!
Meethinks it is a Gas Giant...lots of protein underneath a thin-translucent layer of nacre.
Another option: a double-pearl...a pearl within a pearl. You can crack these and they are like the Russian dolls (err....Mamushkas? what are they called?).

The nesting dolls are called matrioshkas. The mamoushka(I can't believe I actually know this off the top of my head :( ) is the supposedly Cosack inspired dance that Gomez Addams dances in the first movie to welcome back Fester.

*I am going to go hide now*:eek:

LOL, there's NOTHING this group doesn't know! Salem, come out, come out, wherever you are! Doug -- vacation -- well-deserved. Refresh yourself for more beauties!

knotty panda said:
Doug -- vacation -- well-deserved. Refresh yourself for more beauties!

Do you mean for his pearls or for the girls from his Pearl-Guide forum harem??

Slraep

Back