Inherited from great grandmother

kmcdaniel001

Theses were my great grandmother's and she got these during the early 1900's, and i inherited them when she passed. Not sure if they are real or not, they came in this box with the swan label. Help please.

Attachments

• photo (5).jpg
    photo (5).jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 25
  • photo (4).jpg
    photo (4).jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 25
  • photo (3).jpg
    photo (3).jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 25
Welcome to the forum! Pearls are a wonderful thing to inherit and sentimental whether real or faux.

The photos are a bit fuzzy-- it's hard to tell much about the pearls. Can you take closeup photos of a few pearls, including drill holes and the clasp-- the white background you used is good.
Also, are there any markings on the clasp?

Finally, what does the word next to the swan on the box read? It looks like Long or Lang but I can't make it out.

Edit: Must be Lang-- here is another box with the swan and "Lang" that was being sold on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELEGANT-VIN...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Googling I see lots of images of various Lang sterling items but no pearls (yet, still searching.)

Last edited:
Have you tried rubbing two of them gently together? If they feel smooth they're fake. Slightly gritty means they're cultured pearls.

- Karin

I've been looking for other vintage Lang jewelry items and found a number of sterling items on Ruby Lane and on Google images, but other than brooches with imitation pearls, I didn't see any other pearls.

Hi, the markings on the clasp are hard to read, but it looks like it says Japan.
The words after the swan says Lang. I will take closer pictures of the pearls.

Welcome to the forum! Pearls are a wonderful thing to inherit and sentimental whether real or faux.

The photos are a bit fuzzy-- it's hard to tell much about the pearls. Can you take closeup photos of a few pearls, including drill holes and the clasp-- the white background you used is good.
Also, are there any markings on the clasp?

Finally, what does the word next to the swan on the box read? It looks like Long or Lang but I can't make it out.

Edit: Must be Lang-- here is another box with the swan and "Lang" that was being sold on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELEGANT-VIN...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Googling I see lots of images of various Lang sterling items but no pearls (yet, still searching.)

Hi, yes I did try rubbing the together, but I really can't tell the texture. I'm thinking about bringing them to a jewelery store to look at. Any suggestions?

If you visit a jeweler, ask to use their loupe (10x magnifier) to look at the surface and compare it with the surface of know-real pearls (such as the jeweler might be selling.)
Real nacre is very smooth on 10x magnification, while fake pearls surface is decidedly rougher.

Back