Information on grandma's pearls - type of pearls & Value?

k.perea

This 20.5 inch strand of graduated pearls belonged to my grandmother. They were purchased around 1950. There are 119 pearls and the center pearl is 6mm.

She always told me that the pearls were valuable and very good quality. I have always wondered how to find info on the pearls. Local jewelers don't know any thing about pearls. I have been meaning to get them appraised so that I can figure out if they belong in the jewelry box or in the safe.

Can you identify the pearls and have any idea of the value?
Any information you can give would be appreciated.

Attachments

• pearl.jpg
    pearl.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 27
    25.3 KB · Views: 38
    21 KB · Views: 41
    26.1 KB · Views: 46
I should have added. Don't store pearls in a safe in a bank;it is exceedingly dry in those vaults and pearls degrade with too low humidity.
If they are akoyas, the going price is $600 or so for the graduated strands. I just checked eBays "completed sales" a couple of days ago and saw that two or three priced at $600 sold. But they had better luster. I hope yours clean up well. We had a member find a strand like that in a thrift shop for $12. They were so dirty no one wanted to buy them. No luster. But, they cleaned up great. So be encouraged! Look at the before and after photos in the link in blue letters above

Yes, the same clasp! But my clasp was a little bent, subsequently broke and I replaced it with a lobster claw.

Clean them up and restring them! I have my similar strand on today. They are very comfortable.

I see a strand that just sold for $460.55 on eBay, but they were Mikimotos.

Much improved! I can see the reflections of the tiny pearls on the bigger pearls! Congratulations and wear it a lot. It is worth restringing.

I just saw your cleaned-up photo. They look improved by the bath.
Seriously, restring them. I'm wearing someone else's grandma's pearls...if they had been my own grandmother's, you can bet I would not have sold them.

Back