Information on Akoya

P

pearl project

Hi
cultured Akoya is bead nucleated. How does a natural Akoya form? Is it the same way as natural FWP (an irritant gets entrapped in side the pearl shell etc.,) formation?

Hi PearlProject,

Yes indeed. The process of pearl formation is the same in all shelled bi and univalve mollusks (and there is a whole other uniform process for the formation of calcareous concretions in lobster, shrimp, crayfish, as well as for cuttlefish, octopus and squid).

Zeide

calcareous concretions

calcareous concretions

Zeide,

We have had a number of people contact us about various calcareous concretions that they have found in Lobster or other crustations. They are normally excited and ask whether or not their discoveries have any real monetary value. My typical answer is that there may not be much monetary value for most such pearl-like concretions, but that if they enjoy their find, a lack of commercial value shouldn't discourage them from treating it like a true treasure. I never feel like I am giving a good enough answer, so I was wondering, what would be your answer to the same question concerning such finds?

Hi Andrew,

I'd say about the same maybe with the proviso added that commissoning a platinum setting for it might not be the world's most prudent move.

Zeide

When Chinese Akoya born

When Chinese Akoya born

When Chinese Akoya born:
ar20069905042774.jpg

Back