In need of informed opinion, please!

blinginspired

I have a strand of pearls my father acquired in Japan during the Korean War. I would like any information you have about their quality and the value you would place on them. They are in need of re-stringing as they are as originally purchased. The clasp is marked "silver" on the back with a small pearl on the top. They are graduated and the largest middle pearl looks to be abt 8 mm - approximating. The length is 18". Thank you in advance for any information you offer.

Attachments

• pearls.jpg
    pearls.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 33
  • pearls 001.jpg
    pearls 001.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 28
  • pearls 002.jpg
    pearls 002.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 39
  • pearls 003.jpg
    pearls 003.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 29
  • pearls 005.jpg
    pearls 005.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 40
  • pearls 007.jpg
    pearls 007.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 32
  • pearls 006.jpg
    pearls 006.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Those are akoya pearls. They look to be in excellent condition and are very pretty!

Those pearls were part of the huge exodus of pearls from Japan, when, suddenly, in the 50's, scads of cultured akoyas of very high quality were available for such reasonable prices that a serviceman could buy at least one strand.

The size of the pearls is fairly constant from "brand" to "brand" I think the most commonly bought typical range is 7.5 down to 3.5, but that can vary a bit.

Others can indicate the cash value better than I. If you are into googling, check out what similar necklaces are going for on eBay. That is what it would cost you to replace them. They always have at least one very similar to yours at any given time.

We have people on here who do have a clue about their present value, but check out ebay while you are waiting. Look up "vintage akoya pearls". Most will not be akoyas, let alone vintage, but there will be some like yours in there.

Thank you, Caitlin!

Thank you, Caitlin!

I appreciate the detailed information on my necklace. I have one more question, if you would be so kind. Does it de-value the necklace any if I have the pearls re-strung? The fastener is hanging by a thread and it is not secure enough to wear the pearls. Thank you again. Susan

Hi Susan,, and thankyou for the gorgeous photos of your pearls. They really are lovely.

No, your pearls will not lose any value if you have them restrung. Just make sure that they are done by a reputable stringer, and ensure that the original clasp is re-used. They look to be in great condition and would still be a beautiful, elegant piece of jewellery...

And thank you for the record of your lovely pearls! When it is restrung, please take another photo and show us!

Back