I need help buying Tahitian Pearls.

PearlLover26

Hi there. I am just getting into buying pearls to add to my collection, or to make with jewelry. I heard about cultured Tahitian pearls, and I see many that are anywhere from $40-$200 for a nice size and loose. I am looking to purchase an 11mm round (not near round) peacock color, with grade AA or higher. I have found a seller online who states they sell them at wholesale prices. However, I am not huge on shopping online, but I can't seem to find any where I live. The one I am looking at is exactly how I like it to be. It is 11mm, grade AA1, dark body with multicolor overtones, undrilled and its only $45. I am not sure if that seems to good to be true, after all I see them go for much higher prices. Does this seem real? I am not sure if I am allowed to post a link, but I will anyway of the sellers page. Can anyone check it out and give me advice? Thank you.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/246862...search_query=tahitian pearl&ref=sr_gallery_17

So are they a legit company to buy from? I am looking at an 11mm round, AA1 quality, dark body with multicolor overtones for $45. Im curious to know if these are n fact cultured tahitian pearls. Also they do state that they are not treated in anyway. Is this also true? I am new to buying pearls, and I would love a nice size Tahitian to start off my collection.

It is a legitimate company. However, in addition to selling loose and stranded pearls, they also sell canned pearls with oysters that have a freshwater pearl inserted. (nasty practice). The loose pearls you are considering are a lot. you tell them the size you want and then they pick a pearl that size. You really don't know Which pearl you are getting.
I would advise you contact Pearl Paradise or Kojima as they both carry loose pearls and would send you photos of the actual pearls you could chose from. If you would like a Tahitian pearl that is truly untreated, contact Kamoka Pearls because they are the original farmers and run a sustainable farming operation. Good luck!

I would also recommend Jac (https://www.etsy.com/shop/thepearlhouse).. he mostly features near round pearls on his etsy, but if you ask him in private messages - I'm sure he will find you the perfect round one.

Reading you, Marianne, my mind is that pearls market is a true jungle! It seems like gems market, where more one out of two selled gems in the world are false, or so much treated than it's the same ( blue topazes, for exemple), but it's not so difficult to detect most of these false gems than pearls. Strange effect, according to my own experience, of this nasty situation is that higher grade pearls bought out of good reputation shops like those you quote ( I should add Cees), are more likely to be treated than low grades! And I don't talk about freshwater pearls market, where it's russian roulette to buy them on webstores. Anyway, this web market allow a bad additionnal practice, so easy, to touch up photos on computers. I see a lot of them, on the net, to be doctored up to any realistic appearences.

Last edited:
It is a legitimate company. However, in addition to selling loose and stranded pearls, they also sell canned pearls with oysters that have a freshwater pearl inserted. (nasty practice). The loose pearls you are considering are a lot. you tell them the size you want and then they pick a pearl that size. You really don't know Which pearl you are getting.
I would advise you contact Pearl Paradise or Kojima as they both carry loose pearls and would send you photos of the actual pearls you could chose from. If you would like a Tahitian pearl that is truly untreated, contact Kamoka Pearls because they are the original farmers and run a sustainable farming operation. Good luck!

I agree with Marrianne. I just saw a lot a pearl party hostess purchased from this seller APH. Tahitian's in the shell. She removed them and they were really bad. Bead showing, dull and looked like the dog got a hold of them. Their policy is you have to return the lot as is and she had opened a few, so she couldn't send the rest back for a refund. She spent $500.00 and couldn't end up selling them. I don't get how they can sell loose that look good and in the shell that are hidden to deceive the customer.

Last edited:
PearlLover26- I purchased a single Tahitian from them about a year and a half ago. I saw them at a show I was attending in Hawaii. They had an extensive inventory and I was looking for a big pearl I could dangle from a long chain. I selected this one from a large tray full of loose pearls in the same size. I can’t remember the exact size but I think it’s 15-16mm. It’s a beautiful pearl that was reasonably priced, but I was also able to choose it in person from hundreds. You might try contacting them if you are looking for something specific.

F5FE43AE-B390-4D9E-9520-F3BDB8B330D8.jpg

Thanks JP! I haven’t seen it in oval. I’d like to get another big pearl to set in a white metal, either SS or white gold, but I haven’t decided what type of pearl. This one was drilled and set for me at PP. The finding was on a pearl I had purchased from them that I decided to swap for another setting, but knew I wanted to use this one at some point. I love a big pearl on 30+ inch chains.

Oh, I like it a lot! Thanks for the photo. Very pretty color combo on that necklace, too!

Jeg & JP, looove your T's!

I've chosen a good amount of my pearls from that same vendor you are looking at, but always in person. I would recommend contacting them as well. Darlene is really nice and helpful. They can take pictures for you. I no longer live on Oahu, so now I don't have a nearby places with pearls... I also am not allowed to go to Mexico... even if it's only to visit the Pearl farm there (I'm only 6 hour drive away!).

Does anyone know any pearl places in Arizona?

I want to try getting some pearls from Jac in the future.

Why not contact Cees van oije? He got facebook. In my opinion he got the best tahitian collection ever!

Back