Hallmark and pearls

Jaira

I would like to know who's hallmark that is and if they are fresh or salt water. Also what you think the grading is?
Thank you
Merry Christmas
Jaira

IMG_2764.jpgIMG_2766.jpgIMG_2765.jpgIMG_2770.jpg

Hallmark and pearls

This bracelet came from a lady who was a rich hoarder, enough said lol.
I would like to know what kind, color, origin, what the markings on the gold clasp mean and fresh or salt water?
They are absolutely real, gritty. Clasp says 14k gold but has a hallmark before and after it.

Second set was from same lady, pink necklace, yes gritty and real. More imperfections though, 14k gold clasp says LTP, Leer tokyo pearls? or?

IMG_2789.jpgIMG_2782.jpgIMG_2784.jpg

IMG_2774.jpgIMG_2776.jpgIMG_2788.jpgIMG_2780.jpg

The pink necklace is tissue-nucleated (no bead inside) naturally colored cultured freshwater pearls from China.

The bracelet pearls look just a little egg shaped/off round in the photo; do they look that way in person? If so I'd say they are also freshwater pearls. If 100% round, possibly akoyas. However, the way the clasp is attached is not high end-- no gimp. I lean toward freshwater pearls.

With pearls, grades are assigned by each vendor and are not standardized across the industry. If this helps, I'd say the bracelet pearls are nice but not amazing quality. These days the Chinese produce some very high quality pearls and neither of these pieces is anywhere near the top of the range.

Just for information, pre-owned pearls do not tend to hold their value on resale unless they are historic pearls or a highly recognizable/desirable brand like Mikimoto. If trying to price them, I suggest you search eBay completed listings to see what similar items actually sold for.

I don't recognize either mark; it could be that of the maker of the clasp rather than the maker of the pearls.

Thank you so very much, that is exactly what I was wanting to know. Can't thank you enough.
Jaira

One more question, I was looking at the bracelet and they are round. They all look about the same except for blemishes and are 10 mm in size. How do I know if they are really Akoya? and if they are does that make them more valuable?

If they're 10mm they are not likely to be akoyas, as that is the top end of the size range for akoyas, and that would make them quite costly-- and that doesn't jive with the unprofessional way they are finished.

You may be able to see a bead inside (indicating akoya) without getting them x-rayed. Some people "candle" pearls by placing the pearl over the flashlight of their iPhone.

There are round tissue nucleated FWP. My Freshadama pearls from PP are round. Round FWP are worth more than near-round FWP.
If you intend to sell them, restring them first-- using gimp. You will get a better price.

See our stringing videos and tutorials on the Lowly Beaders Club. It's not hard and it costs very little. The materials are inexpensive and no fancy tools are needed.

Back