Gluing Pearls

A

aprettyrock

Hi!

I read the other thread where the recommendation to glue pearls with Vigor epoxy was made, but I wanted to get a little more information on gluing pearls.

If I want to string pearls onto wire, but need them to stay in a certain position once I'm done manipulating the wire, would you still recommend the use of Vigor inbetween the pearls (to adhere one to another while on the wire)? Or is Vigor the type of glue that will become very stiff, not allowing me to mold the wire into the shape I need with the pearls on it?

I'm a total newb when it comes to pearls. Any answer would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Yazmin

Yazmin,

Welcome!!!! I am sorry I may not be much help with your Glue question,
I have an Akoya Ring that Needs repairing.

However what are you making that requires pearls to be string on a wire???

I personally would not use pearls and wire becasue of the pearls rubbing against each other ruining the Nacre... I have odd fears that way!!!!

I am curious to hear what others have to say...... on the subject of Pearls and wire........?????

Ashby

Satine De La Courcel said:
Yazmin,

Welcome!!!!

Thanks Ashby!

However what are you making that requires pearls to be string on a wire???

I personally would not use pearls and wire becasue of the pearls rubbing against each other ruining the Nacre... I have odd fears that way!!!!

I'm making a pair of earrings with top-drilled pearls. I would worry about the nacre as well, but my thinking was that since these pearls will be dangling from the ear (and not getting agitated as they do while worn as a necklace or a bracelet), the nacre wouldn't be ruined.

If I'm wrong, someone please correct me. :)

I am curious to hear what others have to say...... on the subject of Pearls and wire........?????

Me as well!

Thanks!

Yazmin

Vigor

Vigor

We personally use the Vigor epoxy to make drop style "french wire" earrings. It has held up well for us. We also use it to make station necklaces on wire. Since the pearls are glued and thus aren't rubbing, there's no chance of ruining the nacre.

Drop style earrings are a really great use for full drilled pearls. We see this quite often when customers come in with a necklace they want shortened, and they wonder what to do with the extra pearls, especially when the necklace is a Tahitian or South Sea pearl necklace.

On the subject of the pearls rubbing together and being strung on wire, what do you think of Mikimoto's "Pearls In Motion" collection?

Pearls In Motion

Hi Yazmin,

The earings sound like they will be really pretty!

I have been offered a comission to do a wedding tiara... The Brides parents are friends of the family......and the Bride to be is very much a princess...... has to have the best for her wedding....

She wanted to get 10-12mm Gold SSP pearls already made into necklaces, have me cut up the strands and make a wedding tiara with craft wire!!!!

I about fainted when she said that..... I hope I can convince her otherwise.....

When I read wire and Pearls.. I went straight to panic..... I must apologize for that!

As far as Pearls in motoion they are pretty, And modern Looking.... very in style....... makes me want to explore options with pearls and settings.... and learn to do more complex things...

Ashby

Wedding Update....
Instead of the Tiara.

I am making "Pearl hairpins" to dangle from her updo, Does anyone know where to get the vigor epoxy?? I an sure it was previously posted here somewhere but I do not remember..

thanks...

Is there a way that you can make these hair pins so that the pearls can then be taken off and strung back into the necklace? OR dangle earrings???

Thanks for the website Jeremy! I will check them out!

As far as making them into earings that is a good, possibility, So Is restringing them.... It all depends on what my friend wants to do with them after the wedding...

It's always nice when you have the option of being able to use them for other pieces of jewelry as well after the special day, especially for South Sea pearls. She may be very appreciative if you allow her that option.

Hi
Which gum or glue do you normally use to make closing knot ends invisible ?

Henrietta has recommended to use Gum Arabic, but it is very difficult to find in Hong Kong.

Any other gum/glue can be suggested

Thanks
Himal

It is popular to melt the ends in China (often leaves a black end). In the US either an epoxy is used or a clear fingernail polish. This has to be done carefully, however, a very small amount is needed. There is an epoxy that we use that comes out with a needle touch - I will need to check the name. It is not the epoxy that is the greatest, it is the delivery.

vigor epoxy

vigor epoxy

is this vigor epoxy good for making let say pendents with single pearls that are heavy like tahitians?

Back