dyed pearls

P

Phyllis

I bought a strand of freshwater cultured pearls that were dyed black. I want to have this necklace restrung because I think the black thread is hideous. Do you think that this would be feasible?

sure just go to a pearl restringer. any reputable jewelry store can arrange this for you.

Jst be fore warned that they may have come on a black stringh for a reason... They dye job was not all that goos and if you restring them onto a lighter colored strand the dye may still rub off and turn that string black... Then it may not... but that is a possibility....

However I personally like the contrast of string to some pearls. I have a white pearls with garnets altermnating that I strung onto a black silk cord... I liek the dramatic efect it causes... I say go for it.. but do not be disapointed if and that is a big IF the dye runs

some sellers use this tactic of putting duyues pearls on a like colored strig so you can not tell how good or bad the dye job is. Just an FYI.. not all of them do but it is an indicator!

Cheers
Ash

I am curious what color of thread are you wishing to have the necklace strung on?

Satine De La Courcel said:
However I personally like the contrast of string to some pearls. I have a white pearls with garnets altermnating that I strung onto a black silk cord... I liek the dramatic efect it causes... I say go for it.. but do not be disapointed if and that is a big IF the dye runs

Hi Ash,

If you don't mind, can you post a picture of your pearl and garnet necklace?

Personally (and no offense), I think a dyed strand (or even a natural color dark strand) looks poor on any thread that does not match the color. If you use a light thread on a dark strand you can see every knot. If you use a black or dark thread, you really only see the pearls...

We always use thread to match the strand whether it be black, lavender, or gold.

jshepherd said:
Personally (and no offense), I think a dyed strand (or even a natural color dark strand) looks poor on any thread that does not match the color. If you use a light thread on a dark strand you can see every knot. If you use a black or dark thread, you really only see the pearls...

We always use thread to match the strand whether it be black, lavender, or gold.

I have to agree with Jeremy that the strand should match the color of the pearls which is what is usually done.

That's why I'd like to see Ash's necklace to see if a different thread color can be pulled off in case one prefers a funkier look, although hers is with garnets. I think a black thread would look nice on garnets but I'm not sure if a different thread color would work if the necklace is "all pearls".

I also think that a bad dye job would be more noticeable if the thread color is different especially if the color is contrasting.:confused:

perlas said:
Hi Ash,

If you don't mind, can you post a picture of your pearl and garnet necklace?

I am still having issues with the resizing.... However .

Caitlyn was gracious enought to post it for me under the lowly beaders club msg 97 I had I think its labeled Garnet and Pearl...

Sorry I am still learning how to post pictures....

Cheers
Ash

Ash's pearl and garnet necklace with black thread

Attachments

• garnet and Perl drop.JPG
    garnet and Perl drop.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 40
Thanks for the picture!

I like garnets. I think the necklace would work well on jeans.

Thnaks for reposting the Picture Caitlyn,

Never thought if it for jeans..... I used it for my Italina Renaisance dresses. and as a teaching tool for my knot tying class. Because the thread was dark it was wasy to see teh knots for the students.... I need to replace it I lost teh oroinginal in April.. stiill not sure if teh case fell out of my basket when we packed the car or it was a 5 finger discount situation. What's Done is done..

all I need it just the right drop for the center I have garnets and potato pearls, The drop pearl in the center was a gift from a friend, I am moer upset about loosing that one pearl thth ther rest of the necklace.... such is life I guess... anyway

Cheers
all

Happy wednesday

Thanks

2 questions, please. (1) I have some FW pearl strands that I would like restrung, but I don't want to pay a lot because these were pretty inexpensive buys. A local pearl store says that they use thread that is "much stronger than silk", and they only charge $28 for a 16" strand, double knotted (compared to $50 and $65 that my other jewelers charge). When I asked if the thread was polyester, I didn't get a good answer because the person didn't speak English well. Does anyone recommend anything other than silk?

(2) How long does the dye on pearls last if they are taken care of properly?

$28 is still a little expensive for a 16-inch strand. There are several places in LA that we take overstock stringing to. We pay between $7 and $12 per strand. If we string ourselves we charge $15.
Regarding the strength of "whatever" it is that they will be knotting with, that would almost concern me. He is probably just using a blend or the two.

The dye should not fade unless left out in direct sunlight or unless the strand comes into contact with chemicals. Then again, natural colors may fade under the same circumstances.

Back