• Become a Pearl Insider!

Register as a member today for exclusive access to, member only insider info, incredible contests to exotic locations, and have your questions answered by pearl experts from around the world.

Join the community today. Just click Register at the top!

Does a pearl shortener work well to make 18" strands look like they are 16"?

Tucs

OK, so the other day I finally got my pearl shortener. I bought the same kind in two different sizes. I really like how I can now wear my 18" strands shorter, and I can adjust them according to the top I'm wearing. I got them in sterling silver and they are from Etsy. Here's a couple of comparison photos with my metallic FWs (excuse the poor quality photos, but at least you can see the length) and another one showing how I attached it today. Thanks everyone for your input!

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 0
  • FullSizeRender-2.jpg
    FullSizeRender-2.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 0
  • FullSizeRender-3.jpg
    FullSizeRender-3.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 0

cmd2014

Thanks! It looks like a handy thing to have, but many of the ones I have seen have maxed out at a 8 mm pearl (and I would like to use them on my Tahitian strands and larger freshwater ones too).

Tucs

Thanks! It looks like a handy thing to have, but many of the ones I have seen have maxed out at a 8 mm pearl (and I would like to use them on my Tahitian strands and larger freshwater ones too).

In terms of size, I thought I would need at least a medium for that strand, but the small one -- as tiny as it is -- is almost too big for it. I would think the medium or large ones would be big enough for your Tahitians.

Tucs

Thanks the back photo Tucs, I found my old pearl shortener and will try shortening my strands this weekend.

I also find that now I can adjust the length to the specific collar I'm wearing -- sometimes I want 16" but sometimes (as in the photo) 17", etc.