Chin's jeweler on Ebay

nnguye20

So I am on a pearl shopping craze (please don't judge me ) and I found this seller Chin's jeweler on EBay who sells pretty decent pearls with pretty great price. I am eyeing an akoya strand they offer for $250, and honestly I think it is a good deal (and I am bargaining for cheaper price). Has anyone bought pearls from this vendor before?
Here's also the images of the akoya strand: https://m.ebay.com/itm/7-5-8mm-Silv...trand-Necklace-Loose-Pearl-16-1-/173003219332

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-01-25-21-44-38.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-01-25-21-44-38.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot_2018-01-25-21-44-44.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-01-25-21-44-44.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
The photos look like semi-baroque silver-blue akoyas. Even if they are actually selling akoyas, consider that baroque akoyas usually have thin nacre. (PP's baroque akoyas are a striking exception.)

The vendor is in China. His promise to refund 10x the cost is odd and unenforceable.
"We promise they are 100% Akoya pearls.We can also ensure that the parameter information is accurate and reliable.If not,we are willing to ten times the compensation."

Would you be prepared to ship them back to China within 30 days? You can expect that it could take 10 business days to reach you (2 weeks with weekends) and then you'd basically have to ship them back right away, with tracking, to make the refund deadline. That might be tight.

Yes! That's the one! I'm sorry if the link didn't work. I'm making offer for it so EBay keeps direct me to that link. It works for me tho...
About ebay, I've found some pretty reputable vendors like druzy design, seaside cottage treasures and pearl society, so I wonder if Chin's pearl is also a good vendor or not. At this point I can kinda tell real tahitian and dyed pearls apart, but not akoya and kasumi/good quality freshwater pearl.

The problem with the Chinese sellers is that they do not necessarily ship you the pearls whose photos they post.

That is a lot of money to risk IMO, but if you buy them, please post photos of what you actually receive.

Also-- look at their feedback-- all their listings are private. Why doesn't the seller want the feedback to be more transparent?

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that, lilliefuzzysocks. I couldn't remember where it was on the forum!

Thank you lilliefuzzysocks for the warning. Yeah I think I'm not gonna go for this strand then. They are willing to sell it to me for $160, which is too good of a deal already. But too much risk when buying white pearls from unknown sellers. Valentine is near anyway so I'm hoping to see good pearl deals from reputable online sellers. Also, what do you mean about their kasumi pearls' price? Too cheap or expensive? Their price for kasumi is around $40-100ish for pearls larger than 14mm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well those are Chinese Kasumi pearls, not Japanese so the price difference is significant. I think they are still real untreated pearls though. I guess Chinese and HK sellers just treat the term "Kasumi" as a type of pearl quality, not pearl origins.

Last edited:
They are not Kasumi pearls, they are Chinese freshwater pearls. No one is allowed to call them Kasumi unless they are grown in Lake Kasumi. These Chinese pearls are not rare and to do so is cheating the buyer who thinks they are something totally different than what they are buying.

Last edited:
I think lilliefuzzyscks meant to say These Japanese pearls are rare. Many vendors use the Kasumi name to sell their in body bead nucleated freshwater pearls from China. They are very similar in appearance but the ones done in China are MASS produced while the ones done in Japan come from only one lake in that country. Please read Sarah's blog post for a complete and fascinating education on the subject!
https://kojimapearl.com/blogs/news/japan-kasumi-cultured-fresh-water-pearls-from-beyond-the-mist

I understand lilliefuzzyscks' point about Kasumi pearl, as their name should be respected and should only be used for Japanese pearls coming from lake Kasumi ga Ura. However, I personally still think Chinese "kasumi" pearls are beautiful untreated pearls and they can still be appreciated as valuable (but less rare) gems. Afterall, someone did work hard to produce these pearls. Too bad these people did not give their pearls different names. Mass produce or not, they are still quite pretty to the eye. I would still buy Chinese "kasumi" pearls if they fit my taste, but I do wish I can call them by different names :(

The Chinese in-body bead nucleated pearls with this kind of surface are often called "ripple pearls". I've seen "Kasumi-like" used also.

I understand lilliefuzzyscks' point about Kasumi pearl, as their name should be respected and should only be used for Japanese pearls coming from lake Kasumi ga Ura. However, I personally still think Chinese "kasumi" pearls are beautiful untreated pearls and they can still be appreciated as valuable (but less rare) gems. Afterall, someone did work hard to produce these pearls. Too bad these people did not give their pearls different names. Mass produce or not, they are still quite pretty to the eye. I would still buy Chinese "kasumi" pearls if they fit my taste, but I do wish I can call them by different names :(

The Chinese Ripple pearls can be stunning but the really good ones are not terribly inexpensive. ( obviously a lot cheaper than the real thing) But I agree that they are worth buying. We only object to people using the incorrect and misleading Kasumi to label them. It would help if the Chinese could come up with a generic name that everyone can use. Like Ripple...

Back