Cave 'Pearls'

Interesting question, by which you I think you mean knotting pearls is decades old. You saying that it started in the 20th century?

Maybe our favorite historical recreator has an opinion on that. Frankly, I am surprised. I am having trouble locating my copy of the Book of the Pearl by G F Kunz which has hundreds of pictures- and maybe some text on the subject.

As for the thread used in the 95,000 year old "drilled" (I use the tern loosely) shells mentioned in one of the above links, I think it is just a matter of time before the microscopic scratchings will be identified by plant source.... Spinning thread and cord is a very ancient craft.

The article on Bahrain ancient jewelry is no coincidence, I found it through your link above......Actual pearl diving in Bahrain was recorded as early as 4,000 BC- it's in the last link you posted.

Last edited:
Hi Caitlin,

I would agree with you on the plant matter- hemp has been in use for thousands of years (cultivated intentionally and as a wild herb) as an organic thread for jewelry, along with other things. I googled the history of hemp and it turns out the plant has been intentionally cultivated as long ago as 8000BC

The spinning of hemp outdates that of wool and cotton from domestic plants or animals for sure. It is a weed that used to grow everywhere, It is extemely easy to get the fiber mashed and spun, it will give a stronger more rot-free rope than anything else ever has, and it will spin as fine as linen (well almost) and clothing made form hemp fabric will last generations of wear.
(Wouldn't you love some hemp Levis? - I love espadrilles and and buy them from a basque outfit in France every year.......The sisal soles give in to water and fray in minutes. I wish I could get espadrilles made from hemp fabric on the tops and hempen woven soles)

I would guess it as one of the earliest spun plants- it is just too obvious!

Here is a thread on the ancient history of thread that arose out of this discussion

Last edited:
Here's another article on the history, use and decline of hemp that I found highly interesting http://www.sdearthtimes.com/et0199/et0199s11.html

I'm currently looking for more references to pearl jewelry utilized by early humans (although I don't have a BA in Anthropology, I took alot of Archaeology courses in college, too :D )- although another idea on the early "threads" to use in knotting jewelry would be hair (human and animals) and also thin strips of leather cleaned, dried and dyed using organic substances into bright colors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do I detect your degree is in Art of some kind?. You seem to have your history down. So glad to have several enthusiasts interested in this line of research and look forward to lots of good posts.

Si senora, a degree in Fine Art- Illustration and Design to be precise, a Minor in English although I never have time to write the short stories like I used to...these days it's informative articles on pearls lol.

Although I do have a WIDE range of interests (doesn't everybody?) that definitely included History, Archaeology, Astronomy, Gemology... anything that has the element of beauty I am addicted to. :p

Back