are these basra pearls

kaisoni

RSCN1563.jpg RSCN1564.jpg
DSCN1544.jpg
sizes are below 7 mm

dear friend caitlin, very much thanks, can u suggest me the best way to clean them up

They do look to me as if they are Arabian Gulf (Basra) pearls. I have seen some really weird and wonderful shapes in them. But they desperately need to be cleaned.

To clean dissolve a cup of cheap salt in a plastic container with lid, adding a little boiling water. Not a lot of water just enough to make a sludge, thick almost like you could use it for troweling onto something. Once cool enough put your pearls into it and and swill around for a 30 seconds or so. It will not hurt them and you might need longer as they are filthy. For ease of pulling out you may want to first string them on some fishing line or similar. If not clean enough put them back in and swill around and around again. You can even use a soft toothbrush loaded with salt sludge to use as a sort of gentle scrubbing brush. Try to get them clean in the drill holes too.

Your present photos are of a pretty good quality but the pearls are hard to really examine.

If you put them in loose you will need to drain salt through a very small strainer so the pearls won't be lost. If on thread it is easier and you can keep the salt sludge for other cleaning.

You will be surprised how good they look after. Then take some really good (in focus) macro photos with the pearls on a white cloth or white kitchen paper which is great, only crop and upload the photos to us.

Dawn - Bodecia
http://www.ebay.com/sch/dawncee333/m.html
eBay Seller ID dawncee333 Natural pearl collector & seller. And all round pearl lover.

I agree putting them on a thread is a good idea. I used a salt slurry to clean my Natural pearls at Zeide's instruction. It worked well. I think you'll need them on a cotton thread or even Beadalon thin wire to get those holes clean..... Be sure to rinse them very well, pat them dry and keep them in a dish or shell in a moist room for awhile- like the bathroom or kitchen.

People also use a mild Castile or coconut oil soap, ie dr bronner's, and there is even a liquid you can buy- the "Pearl Doctor" which I have not used because they don't say what's in it, LOL. It works well though. Pearls like water, and they like slightly alkaline, so soap and mild detergents are fine. I also use shampoo if I wear natural pearls into the shower. Please note I only do this for solid nacre pearls- I can't speak for akoyas, for instance.

I would make that into a bracelet as fast as I could, and WEAR it!!!

Oh my gosh I can't wait to see these babies "prettied up"! So curious what the true colours are (I'm wondering how they got SO icky? Would that just be from lots of wear on a smoker?)

Jodie

Back