Any recommendations for a reputable place to buy two SS pearls in Toronto?

Lili4ka

Hello, I consider ordering a pair of earrings for myself, where a central place be a round white ss pearl. Any recommendations on where could I get them in Toronto, Canada?

Thank you all!

Zowie, I go with the trusted online vendors because I "know" them from being on here for a few years and there's nothing around my home but the general jewelry stores. After getting to know about pearls on here, the general jewelry brick and mortar store pearl selection I've found is usually meager, and low quality for a high price in my opinion. Most of the better online vendors will email you pics to choose from and have generous return policies, too.

I don't know of even any online vendors in Canada and have no idea about the extra charges you might have to pay for buying from another country. But for SS pearls, I'll say Pearl Paradise has a large stock of all types of high quality pearls. They're in California. I also like the Pearl Society (on ebay and located in Hong Kong or somewhere, not sure right now) for large, less-than-perfect SS pearls at what I consider a good price. There are several others as well.

Sorry, that's all I got!

Last edited:
I don't know of even any online vendors in Canada and have no idea about the extra charges you might have to pay for buying from another country. But for SS pearls, I'll say Pearl Paradise has a large stock of all types of high quality pearls. They're in California. I also like the Pearl Society (on ebay and located in Hong Kong or somewhere, not sure right now) for large, less-than-perfect SS pearls at what I consider a good price. There are several others as well.

Thank you Sea Urchin! By the way, I love your necklace ))

What do you believe to be a fair price for two white ss pearls of about 9mm in diameter?

Zowie,

I'm in Canada too. I order online from the US vendors (even with our horrible exchange rate, shipping, and duty) as it is still way more cost effective than anything I have been able to find in B & M stores here. I've bought from all sorts of folks including Pearl Paradise and American Pearl, and everyone has been fantastic to work with and everything has been smooth (even the occasional return because pearls can be tricky and sometimes what you imagine from a picture doesn't work on you in person the way that you had hoped). Plus, you can apply to have your duty refunded if you can provide proof that you have returned an item, so really the main risk is the shipping fees (which can add up).

Hope that helps.

The price of the pearl depends as well on the shape and the grade. Big difference between perfect round AAA WSS and other shapes and lower grades. If you are thinking of having the frogs made I would go to someone like PP with a large stock of loose pearls...you might then have them find two with significant flaws on one side that can be hidden in the design...heaps cheaper that way.

Do keep in mind the current exchange rate as it could add about 30% to your cost plus you have duty...no idea what Canada charges.

Here are a couple of quick links:

Pearl Paradise, 9-10mm AAA SS studs, plus I believe they have a 15% off special going on now. These are top quality SS pearls, which makes a big pricing difference:

For comparison, 9-10mm AAA freshwater pearls, also from PP. Much cheaper than SS:

Here's PP "Freshadama" their gem grade, a step up even from AAA. 9.5-10mm.

The Pearl Society didn't have any SS studs that small right now from my quick search. They're known for HUGE pearls, often not totally round, etc. And of course you can check the rest of the vendors listed. I second all that cmd listed except for American Pearls. I don't have a complaint about American Pearls and haven't heard anything against them either, I've just personally never dealt with them.

Keep in mind that they might all use different grading systems. Also, even when two companies use the same rating letters, different vendors have different meanings of what constitutes, for example, AAA or AA quality.

You might ask for email photos to compare and/or consult us on those photos and etc. We love to see pics and also to give our opinions. :)

Unless you have your heart set on South Sea pearls, if it was me I'd probably go with top grade freshwaters instead, due to the large price difference and not being able to tell the difference. Good luck!

P.S. If you want one pearl for a custom made frog pin, you can contact them and ask to only buy one pearl.

Last edited:
Wow, so many replies, and very valuable information! You are wonderful! :)

It's a pair of earring that I want rather than a pin. If I buy the pins (they actually sell two small and one large one), I would have to remodel them into earrings anyway. The pins look more solid and heavy though, not sure how do they feel in real when in the ear.

I explored that PP website, a price of $640 for two loose white ss pearls looks too high... I emailed Jeremy and asked whether they could find something with a small flaw that could lower the price for me.

One Canadia jeweler agreed to make the frogs for about 3k with their freshwater pearls and other materials. I only contacted one of them, but will ask more.

If I buy not a round pearl, like this oval one, would a jeweler be able to round it for my earrings to make it round? does it make sense?

No, I don't think a jeweler could "round" an off-round pearl.

If you just want round pearl stud earrings, I'd buy them that way. I wouldn't bother with an additional jeweler for a simple piece like pearl studs because personal help like that adds so much to the cost. But as I mentioned earlier, if cost is a major consideration, you could get a significantly lower price and perfect pearls by going with top quality freshwaters rather than SS.

I don't want studs, I want frog earrings made with a white round ss pearl. 9mm is fine. Looking for two loose pearls in order to order a custom earrings from a Toronto jeweler.

If the pearls are going to end up being frog bellies, they certainly do not have to be perfectly round or flawless. Seems like a bit of texture on the pearl would make for a more interesting piece.

I think keshis or baroque would look great as the frog's belly , I don't know how hard it would be to source those shapes.

First of all consider the weight...those gold frogs look heavy.. so they will either need to be hollowed out a bit more or made very small. You don't need perfectly round pearls as the entire pearl won't show. If you want a round belly for the frog then look for a very fat button pearl...they are round on top but flatter on the bottom...I'd think that would be easier to use for the frog.

I think kelluvpearls has an excellent suggestion as wel..the keshi can be a bit flatter...or save money and check out the smaller white Edisons... very SS looking.

As for the price of the WSS - not sure what size you asked for but the price doesn't surprise me if they are round with excellent luster.

No duty. You will just have to pay sales tax (GST/PST) on the declared value of the shipment in Canadian dollars. I'm in Canada too, and I buy everything in the US (and occasionally overseas). Price and selection in Canada is nowhere near as good.

Back