Any insight on this pearl necklace?

vls827

I'm hoping to get a general appraisal as soon as possible. I inherited this pearl necklace from my Grandmother, but I don't know anything about where she got it or how much it is worth. The pearls are all generally the same size (one of the larger ones measured 1cm in length) and feel gritty when rubbed together. Some appear to have a pink undertone, others silver. The clasp says 14K, but I found no other inscription. There are five 29 inch strands with about 100 pearls each. Any information would be appreciated!

DSCN0982.jpgSM 11SM 10DSCN0987.jpgDSCN0986.jpgDSCN0985.jpgDSCN0984.jpgDSCN0983.jpgDSCN0981.jpgSM 12

These appear to be the so-called "rice krispie" pearls; the shape was common in the earlier cultured freshwater pearls from the late 1970s/ early to mid 1980s.

Since then, the Chinese have greatly improved their culturing technique, so these rice krispie shaped pearls are most likely to be found on eBay. I suggest you browse eBay for "sold" similar items to give you an idea of what current buyers are willing to pay for them. They are not particularly valuable but they do have their own historical charm.

Back