Akoyas and Enhancer Pendants

perlas

Anyone has experience using enhancer pendants with akoya strands?

My strands are usually south seas, tahitians, and freshwaters, and have not considered akoya so much because of my personal preference for nacre thickness. However, I've recently bought strands of natural-colored blue akoyas and was wondering if enhancer pendants would roll on the pearls when one moves (imagine small pearls), how would the durability be?

I've used small pearls for freshwaters and have clipped them between south seas with no concern on the pearls, but I haven't tried them with akoyas.

Any thoughts/experiences would be appreciated!

Last edited:
I wear enhancers on smaller Vietnamese akoya pearls a lot. The enhancer does NOT slide around. It sits between 2 pearls. The enhancer is not snug like it would be between two large pearls. The enhancer could slide, but I also sit behind a computer all day, so it doesn't move because I don't move. I wouldn't wear the enhancer if I went dancing, for instance, but then I wouldn't wear the whole pearl necklace dancing, either, because I would sweat.

Also, I've had akoyas for years and years, and they show no signs of wear. However, I think I lucked out and got very good ones with a decent nacre thickness. The only akoyas I've ever had to replace were my grandmothers. They were not expensive pearls when she bought them, so not the best quality. She wore them and I wore them constantly for about 60 years total before I replaced them with new pearls. And I could still wear them. It's just I felt they needed to be retired.

I think I didn't quite get the question) the enhancer will stay on the knot with gravity, but of course can be moved over the pearl manually if, for example, you have 7.5-8.00mm akoyas with clip-on enhancer of 13mm. But I don't think it would be any problem when wearing - as the enhancer bail will stay on the knot between the pearls)

Thank you for the inputs!

I bought some strands of different sizes. A 3mm, 6.5-7mm baroques, and an 8-9mm strand.

I like the 3mm a lot so I was planning to have an enhancer on it but for sure it might slide, or set it with some gemstones. For the bigger pearl, I have no worries if the enhancer is snug in between pearls. But not sure about the 3mm pearls.

Here are photos...

image.jpg

image.jpg

Large enhancers on small akoya pearls. The enhancers do not slide around when I wear them, although they do slide when I take them off.

IMG_1916.jpg

IMG_2336.jpg

BWeaves, I love seeing your gorgeous enhancers and of course your pearls.

Thanks BWeaves! Lovely examples!

Perlas those are gorgeous. Could I trouble you for some neck shots?
Are they from cees recent batch? The blue on the 3mm looks intense

Thanks, JP!

kalmen22,
I did not get them from Cees but Cees should have something similar if not more intense! I haven't strung them so I just tied the back for the neck shot.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Oh I see now. Lovely pieces) in Asia they often use mini-akoyas or tahitian keshi strands as substitutes to chains. So I don't think there will be any problem with enhancers or pendants on it)

Back