Akoya , saltwater or no??

twinsmummy20

I know you all get tons of these so I'm sorry!! But I'm very new to pearls and trying to learn all I can! I want to make jewelry for family and friends and I am buying a pearl drill to do everything myself .... I found a seller on Etsy that I drilled about fresh water came saltwater and she said these pearls are rounder than freshwater and started with a bead implanted which indicated saltwater also... I realize Akoya do not naturally come in darks and such so anything I get otherwise is dyed. I'm okay with that... but I want to make sure what I got is indeed saltwater like I am being told. They are real... gritty to teeth... cold even in the sun, slight imperfections and coloring difference... I can see myself in this guy...I feel like when I hold him up to the light I can see a "bead" inside... something in the center... I am not asking if this is a cheap pearl or Chinese or Japanese or it's worth because that is honestly neither here nor there to me. I am just wondering if this is indeed a saltwater or fresh water. I purchased five and they are all very round with slight differences. I hope the pictures help. Thanks for your help and I plan on sticking around! And posting another thread cause it's unrelated here!

Attachments

• IMG_4073.jpg
    IMG_4073.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4071.jpg
    IMG_4071.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 34
There are now round freshwater pearls, and some have high luster, so I can't tell you from looking at your photos whether that pearl is freshwater or saltwater.

I will say that a lot of vendors (especially Chinese vendors) sell freshwater pearls while calling them akoya, Tahitian, and South Sea. Does this vendor also sell freshwater pearls that are labeled freshwaters? Do they have an questionable listings? A vendor who will lie on one listing is likely doing so on other listings too.

If you care to tell us who the vendor is, we can have a look.

Hahaha honestly these are my "practice " pearls.... I'm gonna be learning to use a drill on them and am probably not going to have perfect tries to begin with and honestly am half tempted to try and cut into the thing.....I want to know everything about everything lol even the inside ...

I think that is just light leaking around the edge of the pearl...I don't think it shows a bead inside.

If the pearls were X-rayed any bead present would show up. If you cut it in half, it would be obvious.

FWP are also now being bead nucleated, but there in this size I think most are still all nacre. The bead nuked ones are competing with SSP and some are very ripply (which some buyers like.)

It looks like a Chinese fwp to me. It's not fully round to my eyes.

I think I know which seller it is...I would be careful....looks like Freshwater to me.

Careful

Careful

Another picture in the sun
Hallo, I do not wish to appear unfriendly or nosy but you could potentially help others, not to be ripped off....by revealing where you got your pearl.
Even though I cannot view it in reality..just judging by looking at your pictures I would be 90%+ sure, that you have a FWP there...certainly not an Akoya. I just came across a FB chanel called Pearl Party...not only did I near fall asleep, warching thru lengthy videos...but it knocked me off my feet...to see them open oysters during this "live" show...getting out black, green, red/green, peach & pink pearls...kidding people into believing the high value of their supposed "Akoya" pearls...all of that is a scam...a snowball system.
Could it be, that you aquired your pearl thru something similar? Don't get me wrong...FWP can be charming and beautiful but tricking people into believing they get real Akoyas with high values is a scam...nothing else.
I hope you share your source...thank you!

Back