No announcement yet.

Maeshori

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congratulations on your first harvest, and welcome to the forum. yes indeed. we need photos of those pearls please
    Author:Pearls A Practical Guide published by Crowood Jan 2021
    www.pearlsapractical.guide

Comment

Hey! We are so glad you posted! Please share more. Start your own thread with your name or company's name on it. The keep us up with the weather and other interesting things that help your pearls grow or hinder. I can hardly wait to hear more!
      Caitlin

How to hand-knot pearls without a tool

My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.

Comment

Originally posted by R&B View Post
        Hello everyone. My wife Bronwyn and I (Rusty), own and run a south sea pearl farm at the top of Queensland, Australia and have enjoyed reading this web page for some time. Last month we totally enjoyed harvesting our first crop of pearls.
        A hardy welcome to Rusty and Bronwynn! Congratulations on your first harvest. If you don't mind me prying, what volume did you turn?

Each evening we rolled the day's pearls in salt then rinsed them. After drying the grading takes place. This Ladies and Gentlemen, is the point of judgeing a pearl.
        Agreed.

All efforts after this come down to crooks and shysters (In my view). I've probably upset some, sorry, but our livelyhood depends on people gaining an understanding as to what a quality pearl is, not what a crap pearl might be with a touch up.
        I have no doubts, after-treatment is used to maximize profitability. Raising the grade of several tonnes of pearls (even a fraction of a point) means more revenue. Whether that implies the producers are charletons is a debateable topic from a marketing standpoint. That said, it's important consumers should be aware of these treatments, so they can make informed decisions about purchasing their heirlooms. Personally, I'm motivated not to treat pearls and have no intention of post harvest treatment other than using salt slurries or sparingly applied mineral oil.

Like food certified as "organic", pearl grades included as "untreated" will invariably become the norm in a few years.

Now... dying freshwater pearls and passing them off as SS or Tahitian is something that really gets under my skin. I've noticed lately, there are a lot of threads where folks are questioning the disingenuous black pearl claims found on foreign websites and/or eBay. While awareness is expanding, unfortunately, many are bilked each and every day.

Comment

Gidday All again

Nice to see people get into the spirit of debate and be welcomed so quickly. Thank you.
          I confess a certain enjoyment on seeing photo's with the yarn's on this forum. Stay tuned for pic's of our harvest as my dear wife Browyn is the star performer of our gig as far a computer things go ( this of course translates to "I don't know how to put pic's on the page").
          In answer to some of the questions, We attained the farm through hard work, The size of our Harvest was not big, We are not interested in being Big player's, In 4 to 5 years we will be at our cruise level of producing 3 to 5 thousand pearls per annum. Our goal is to position ourselves with a niche market as our farms location has shown promise of a high percentage of silver pinks.
          Bronwyn will put a post in tomorrow with some pic's and a link to our web page.
          For those interested, when Bron puts a link up, go to the farm blog that she updates every few weeks and you will see that we are just a couple of ordinary people growing beautiful things ( and really enjoying it).
          Once again, thanks for the welcomes from around the world, we both look forward to shareing our joy of pearls with you,
          Good night,
          Rusty and Bronwyn Tully
          Torres Pearls Pty Ltd
          Turtlehead Island
          Escape River
          Faarrr North Queensland
          Australia.
          Rusty & Bronwyn Tully
          Torres Pearls Pty Ltd
          Turtlehead Island
          Escape River

Faarrr North Queensland, Australia.

www.torrespearls.com

Comment

Hi all
            We started a new thread under the Pearl Farm forum for our pearl farm - Torres Pearls at Turtlehead Island, Escape River. We also posted a link in there to our webpage for those who are interested.

http://www.torrespearls.com

Rusty & Bronwyn Tully
            Rusty & Bronwyn Tully
            Torres Pearls Pty Ltd
            Turtlehead Island
            Escape River

Faarrr North Queensland, Australia.

www.torrespearls.com

Comment

Thanks for the link and welcome! It is very interesting to hear from the people who produce the pearls. I am really glad you joined.

- Karin

Comment

Working...
              X