Fancy & Exotic Freshwater Pearls

V

Valeria101

Between the recent give away of 'Exotics' here and the gold rush at a renowned auction, it's just a matter of size, aparrently. And counting the largest of the Exotics, not much of that...

LINK to auction catalog

"Sotheby's, Jewels
Sale: L08050
Auction Dates: Session 1: Thu, 13 Mar 08 10:30 AM
LOT 132 (of 195): MULTI-COLOURED CULTURED PEARL AND PINK
SAPPHIRE NECKLACE

DESCRIPTION: Designed as a long single row of gently graduated cultured pearls of various tints including pink, golden, green, mauve and grey, measuring from approximately 11.1mm to 14.1mm, to a spherical clasp pav?-set with circular-cut pink sapphires, length approximately 895mm."

From the image and description, these should be a meter of fine lighter colored Black Lip and freshwater cultured pearls, with a clasp one can also find among the CiClasp offerings:

stfsd1.png

Interesting? I left the quote out... Just think of it!

Last edited by a moderator:
:eek: Expensive!

I don't suppose these pearls are natural fw? I can't imagine fw pearl in green or grey...

No... definitely cultured. If there was one natural pearl in the whole strand, it would have ten lab reports to go with the auction! And the current estimate for the strand could have been just for that one pearl, LOL!

And no, I don't think those are all freshwater pearls. It isn't so unusual to find strands made of a mix of freshwater, south sea (white and golden) and Tahitian (lighter silver grays) of similar pastel tones. The colors work beautifully together! :cool:

Besides, the descriptions does not say what type of cultured pearls at all - allowing for the mix. Frankly, I have not noticed the type to matter much anyway.

Hi Valerie101,

What was the estimate for the pearl necklace. I couldn't get thru to the site. Pity. They remind me a bit of my pearl necklace with three colours. I think mine are nicer though :D

Bodecia

In my opinion, that pink sapphire ball looks totally out of place, and it would look much better without it!

In my opinion, that pink sapphire ball looks totally out of place, and it would look much better without it!

Actually it looked like haw candy and the rest of the necklace like a strand of sweets. KAKAKAKAKA......

Hm.. the pinks do stand out. But again, the pearls have such subtle colors, dunno what wouldn't. A couple of years back, there was a small wave of jewelry using 'fancy white' diamonds... maybe those (i.e. imagine pave with tiny stones like THIS). Now, many consider those industrials, and frankly... they are. :rolleyes: and other clever folk marketed them as 'diamond pearls' :p ...

Digression, digression ...

Back