No announcement yet.

Chinese freshwater akoya's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recall I have ever read an article saying "Akoya" is just the Japanese pronunciation of that species of oyster, Pinctada martensi, which exists both in Japan and China, therefore Chinese Akoya is totally legit. That article even claims the wild type of that mollusk originates from Guangxi, China. Could be biased. Did they make those oysters adapt freshwater? I don't know.

Comment

There were akoya oysters in farms in China but they were saltwater, and as Douglas said, they didn't do well due to freshwater runoff diluting the salinity of the water. The book about pearl oysters also specifically states the akoya oysters cannot survive in water of low salinity. I don't see how they could adapt to fresh water.

Comment

I saw these, or similar ones labeled "freshwater akoya" and messaged the shop owner to ask what they were. She replied:

hi, is freshwater pearl, used same culture technology as akoya , have nucleus in middle

Comment

Opinions are clear! The best thing to do is saving up to buy at Cees.
          But is Vietnam akoya's the same as the japanese akoya's?
          I know Cees have beautiful vietnamees akoya's at least Ä20 for one pearl. For a complete necklace i need 50-70 pearls 😲

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DB7BEDFA-FEB8-421B-B4E5-486BEB924F97.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	396112

Well ainít that the cats whiskers.
            https://www.beaderssecret.com
            https://www.etsy.com/shop/BeadersSecret

Comment

Originally posted by Rianne View Post
              Opinions are clear! The best thing to do is saving up to buy at Cees.
              But is Vietnam akoya's the same as the japanese akoya's?
              I know Cees have beautiful vietnamees akoya's at least €20 for one pearl. For a complete necklace i need 50-70 pearls ��
              Vietnamese akoyas are as pretty as the Japanese ones. There's a thread here on the forum which discusses the thickness of Vietnamese akoya's nacre. If you want a necklace, tell Cees you want a necklace so he can get you a strand of akoyas, you pay a wholesale price which is a lot cheaper than if you buy the pearls individually. Just contact Cees for pricing.

Comment

It's discouraging to me to see Wen's tactics change like this, she's been reliable for a long time but I'm starting to see her less so.

Comment

Since the pearls are being produced by the Edison pearl company..yes.
                  Author:Pearls A Practical Guide published by Crowood Jan 2021
                  www.pearlsapractical.guide

Comment

This may just be a translation thing.
                    Author:Pearls A Practical Guide published by Crowood Jan 2021
                    www.pearlsapractical.guide

Comment

freshwater pearls, akoya wannabe

Comment

Working...
                      X