Pearls from long ago, but unsure if they are Tahitian and South Sea or freshwater?

Babypearl

Community member
I bought the black one more than 10 years ago in Singapore. It is in 18K white gold and has pretty good luster with green and pink overtones. I wear it on and off and it is maybe about 9 to 9.5mm in off round shape. I think it was listed as Tahitian, but I am unsure. The white and golden ones were bought as South Sea pearls, set in 18K white gold and off round, about the same size as the black one. I would just like to know if they are what I bought them as. Would appreciate any help. I know the photos arent as clear and will try to take more when I can.

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 23
We will have to wait until you put up the clear photos. Perhaps you could crop the above photos so what is left will be much larger.

Hello Caitlin,
Thanks for the reply. I am not sure how to crop photos, so may have to fiddle with my camera and try and see if I can take better photos.

Babypearl

Hope the photos are a little better this time.

Hope the photos are a little better this time.

I hope these are better photos. My sincere apologies if they are still blurry. Will have to take my time to take better pictures and spend more time with my camera. Sorry PGers.

Babypearl

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 34
This is the best photo so far I think. I am also unsure what is the big pearl/shell there. Please feel free with your comments as I can only learn.

Babypearl

Attachments

• 032.jpg
    032.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 32
Hi Babypearl,

And welcome :) We still can't see the pearls clear enough to venture a qualified guess about the three pearls being freshwater or Tahitian/SSP. There should be a macro setting on your camera that will allow you to go really close. It looks like a flower. Also, photographing on white tissue in northern light out of the sun helps.

Are the two light pearls the same size as the black pearl? Or bigger?

The large, interestingly shaped pearl would be nuclated freshwater pearl. Lovely bracelet, byt the way :)

- Karin

You crop in the photo program in which you view your photos.

What you have shown us so far is a white, gold, and black pearl. So far,they all look like freshwater pearls.

Thanks for the tips, Karin. Will try it when I get the chance. One of the lighter pearl is bigger than the rest and the golden one is bigger than the black and the other lighter colour one. Thank you for your compliment on the tourmaline bracelet. I love colourful things. Thank you Caitlin. I will try harder over the next few days to use the macro setting. I thought I did, but the photos still turn out small and when I tried to get closer, they turn out blurry. I guess it takes practice to take good photos.

Babypearl

Back