Pearl Enhancers?

richipat

We were crusing around a jewlery store the other day and I saw some interesting "pearl enhancers" -- you know the kind that hook over your pearl strand. Anyway, I thought it might be fun to have one, but my husband objected thinking that wearing one too often will damage the pearls in front and thus ruin the necklace.

He is hypersensitive about my pearl necklace -- he bought a Miki years ago before we saw this site and knew there were other alternatives, so now he guards that necklace like it belongs in Fort Knox. :eek:

Any thoughts on enhancers damaging pearls?
Anyone wear one?

Thanks!!

If only worn occasionally, and if the enhancer is small, there should be very little wear. If worn often, the pearls will wear where the gold moves on the pearls. The gold will also attract more dirt, so you'll need to clean the pearls more often as well as cleaning the enhancer. (Don?t ever use any harsh chemicals to clean your pearls.)

However, a large enhancer will wear the pearls more quickly and will also tend to stretch the silk thread and necessitate restringing the pearls more often.

I wear enhancers a lot. On all my pearl necklaces, both freshwater and akoya.
I haven't noticed any wear or damage yet.
However, the akoyas are all old - mostly inherited - so weren't brand-spanking-new-perfect when I acquired them.
I just like to wear my pearls in every which way that I can.
I wouldn't dream of contradicting Terry, though, as he will be far more knowledgeable than I.

Thanks!!!
I may just buy a small one and give it a try. It certainly gives a different look to the pearls and I am like you, Sueki -- I like to wear my pearls any way and as often as I can.

Back