Mikimoto in 1932

Nothing so infuriates Oriental pearl men and nothing so delights Mr. Mikimoto as a decision of the French courts which he quotes from memory on all occasions thus: "Japanese culture pearls [Mikimoto]; produced by scientific stimulation of the oyster are in no sense false or imitation pearls. . . . They can be sold as real pearls without any indication of their origin."

This topic is worthy of a docudrama. I would love to know the details on how Mikimoto got the French deciders to sell out so thoroughly.

Caitlin Williams said:
This topic is worthy of a docudrama.

Isn't it? That would really be something. There's no better drama than a real one. Just goes to show that if you do something naughty, it'll catch up with you, even if it takes a hundred years.

Slraep

Looking for larger freshwater pearls, lots of crooked, wasted nucleation experiments turn up - like a menace :eek: And the recent thread about Freshadama reminded that history matters, and once the 'industrial round' look caught.... :rolleyes:

What might - if anything - keep freshwater pearls from going the same route? From tissue nucleation to bigger and/or rounder PPB... that is. Hypothetically speaking.

Valeria101 said:
What might - if anything - keep freshwater pearls from going the same route? From tissue nucleation to bigger and/or rounder PPB... that is. Hypothetically speaking.

At the Agricultural Department of the University of Pisa in northern Italy, they have suceeded in bead nucleating sinanodonta woodiana and making them grow to 15mm.

I think they were using plastic beads for nucleation at the University of Pisa. It is fascinating that they got such a wide range of very interesting colours from the sinanodonta woodiana. Black, rose, silver white......I never thought there could be such a variation. The woodie seems to be a common mussel in Tuscany.

Slraep

Last edited by a moderator:
Back