Behind every successful man...there is a women-Mrs Mikimoto

I have the book " The Pearl King" and she is mentioned there as the very best and strongest supporter of Mikimoto, always believing in him and dedicating her life to his obsession with the culturing of pearls...

She was believed to having an infected ovary, was operated on and got peritonitis 3 days after the operation. She was 32 years old and they had 5 children at the time of her death. However she lived long enough to see the first semi-round Akoyas.

I think I have bought it through Amazon or maybe Alibris. I don?t think you can get a new one as my print (the 4th) is from 1964, but it should be possible to get a used one that?s left over...

Ume Mikimoto

Ume Mikimoto

Does anyone know much about Ume Mikimoto?
I went to see Kokichi Mikimoto 150th anniversary exhibition in Ginza Tokyo last week.
Just heard some story about Ume that I can share with you all.

July 11, 1893 Kokichi and Ume was checking to see their Akoya , Ume picked one up from cage and found first semi-round pearl inside the shell, she is the first person who found succeded cultured semi -round pearl.
When Kokichi had hard time carring debts, Ume was operating their own noodles shop supporting Kokichi and also helped his work. 3 years later Ume died.Withou her help, Kokichi couldn't succeeded.

It sounds like she was very devoted to her husband. He was lucky to have had her, even though their time together was too short. ;)

Back