Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pearl Dreams
    replied
    Try this: rub the pearls gently against each other. If they glide freely, they are probably "shell pearls" (imitation.) Genuine nacre would offer just a little resistance -- very slight grittiness-- when the pearls are rubbed together or rubbed against the edge of your front tooth.

Leave a comment:

• Ashley
    replied
    I'm with Jeremy - the surface quality and luster of these pearls is way too nice for the price. I'd be suspecting shell pearls too. Have you tried the tooth test?

Leave a comment:

• jshepherd
    replied
    If they are perfectly round and perfectly clean, that wouldn't be a decent price, that would be an impossible price. Is there any surface blemeshing at all. The luster seems very high, so I would almost suspect shell.

Leave a comment:

• antti
    replied
    Thanks for answer

Originally posted by Pearl Dreams View Post
    Just wondering, do you have any reason to think they are anything other than what the vendors said they were?

Was the price too low for SSP, or are the findings not karat gold, or what?
    I bought the pearls without the gold hangers, those I selected separately. The price was around XXX USD, which I think is ok for SSP. I was told these are SSP from Australia. For sure, it is impossible to say whether they are from Australia or Philippines or some other place where SSP pearls come from. The sizes are 11 mm for smaller, and 12 for larger. They are very round, judging how they rolled on a surface.
    Last edited by antti; 03-30-2015, 05:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Pearl Dreams
    replied
    Just wondering, do you have any reason to think they are anything other than what the vendors said they were?

Was the price too low for SSP, or are the findings not karat gold, or what?

Leave a comment:

• antti
    started a topic What are these?

What are these?

Hi,

I am beginner, eager to learn about pearls. I bought two pairs of earrings, the one on the left is 11mm and the one on the right 12mm. I got them from different dealers, who said they are South Sea from Australia. I can not see any real difference between them, so I think they have the same origin. What would you think, these are?

Thanks a lot!
    Last edited by antti; 03-30-2015, 05:44 AM.
Working...
X