What does "klonk" mean?

B

Bogus

Hi all, sorry if this is a stupid question!

I've heard Zeide and others refer to "klonks" and I have no idea what this means!:confused: I don't even know if this question belongs in the FWP forum...LOL

Thanks!
Bogus

Hi Bogus
Klonks are 12mm and over.

It's an oenomatopoetic (sound replicating) term. Small pearls up to 8mm when jingled make a "klink" sound, medium sizes (up to 11.5mm) make a "klank" sound, and when you get to 12mm and over they make a "klonk" sound.

I thot I'd come back and add a picture of one of my klonks.
I really like this picture, even though the color is fabulized. The pearls are low grade (like try "B- to D"), dyed CFWP, but I love them. I have reported this before, but when I wore them to a ballet in SF in 2004, strangers in the lobby complimented me on them. I have gotten such sustained and postive responses to them since I started wearing them, they changed my entire pearl focus!

Attachments

• 2cropDSC_0164.JPG
    2cropDSC_0164.JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Thanks, Caitlin! Those are lovely.

I must say, "klonk" doesn't sound like a very complimentary term!:)

Bogus

I first heard the term from ZESPA, of course, but knew instantly how perfect it was.

If you think about it, Freshwater klonks are huge. And, without a bead, they are largest solid nacre pearl being produced commercially on the planet, at the moment.
In sizes over 10+mm, the proportion of lovely ones goes way down from even a 10mm size.

The bigger the klonk, the MORE likely it will have splits in the skin, cracks, crevices, pits that reveal layers of nacre, and generally rough surfaces. Only a very few freshwater pearls make it to Klonk size.

This strand was cheap, but extremely rare, at the Tucson Gem shows, so far.

Back