Bangladesh Pink Pearls

P

pearltime

Has anyone seen the pink pearls form Bangladesh? I have heard they are freshwater and have beautiful luster.

I have never personally seen the Bangladesh Freshwater pearls. I do know that they are unique because of two mussels that are found in this area including the Lamellidens and Perreysia mussels. The Parreysia is capable of producing beautiful, naturally pink pearls but they are much smaller mussels and difficult to work with.

New to the site -- I'm looking for info on my pearls. I have no knowledge what so ever on pearls.
I have pink pearls from Bangladesh. A triple necklace and a pair of earrings.
What do I need to know about them? Should I be getting a jeweller to look at them? How can I identify these pearls....as I said I know nothing about pearls, so freshwater, cultured etc. means nothing to me! What can I tell anyone on this board about them that may help identify them?
I was given them as a gift about 5 years ago and have never worn them but I am now considering getting the triple necklace re-strung and made into 3 individual necklaces. I also have white pearls and black pearls from Bangladesh but posted in this thread because it was about pink pearls!
Help much appreciated!
Thanks.

I think they are collected wild. From The little I have read, pearl collecting isn't organized and farmers bring them into the markets when they find them.

Yes, this is correct pearltime. They are collected from the wild. That is one of the wonderful facets of these pearls!!

Back