South Seas 13mm Natural Pearl and diamond ring

Ark

Hello to all the naturals

Just joined the forum today and new to the site!
This pearl was acquired from my mother. The story is she had purchased the pearl in 1970 for $5000usd loose, unmounted from a acquaintance in Japan. It was a hard market to sell a natural pearl in those days and not sure if they had the X-ray technology available for them. The pearl was later mounted on this 14k diamond ring and her absolute favorite. I will be looking to certify the pearl with GIA and putting it up for auction in near future.

Attachments

• south seas pearl.jpg
    south seas pearl.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 41
Thanks so much. I am looking to send the pearl out to GIA (which is done in new york and bangkok) for an X-ray. Would anyone know differences of X-ray used with GIA vs SSEF swiss report that a collector or potential buyer may be looking for?

As for the hand shot, do you know of a hand model in hawaii that won't run away on me lol. Unfortunately the ring won't fit on my hand, estimate size 5.5.

They are both good labs and do more than than a regular x-ray. Great idea, because people can buy with confidence. :)

I have been seeing some of the high end pearls being certified by the SSEF. The SSEF charges almost double from GIA. I was wondering if SSEF might provide some specific info or higher standard of credibility in the certification.

Planning a trip out to bangkok later in the year, making a holiday out of it (even with the civil unrests). Don't feel to comfortable mailing out the ring in a marked box!

To be safe, will be filling out a US customs form for temporary importation, that way the TSA airport security don't get any dumb ideas! Has anyone recently experienced a problem during inspection with customs and declarations when traveling abroad with jewels ( I am a man that will be carrying lady jewels, can't wear it on me lol).

I would wear it, anyway. Just while traveling.

Nice ring! Just an observation about testing. Wherever you go should be fine, depending on how much you want to pay for what will likely be the same result, but it might be worth removing the pearl since if CT work is needed by whoever tests it, loose would be better. Testing loose pearls is always easier than mounted. You can always request for the ring to be included in the photo on the report I suppose. GIA Bangkok may also share the X-ray images of the pearl with you if you ask them, they have been known to share if asked nicely ;-) Not sure many other labs do this but worth asking. Hope that helps.

Thank you for wonderful comments.
The pearl is not drilled and held in just by the 4 prongs.
GIA replied back and noted the pearl should not be a issue to examine set on this ring.
For the size of the pearl, the design of the ring matches it well. The contours are simple, the band width is not too wide or narrow which brings out elegance. The ring is a small value vs the pearl but i would of not been pleased to destroy the display. I hope Bangkok will share the X-rays, maybe i can bring some treats from hawaii to sweeten them up.

Back